PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Trouble with taking the key off

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Default Trouble with taking the key off

Hi,
I am a new member here, and hope someone to help me. I recently imported my 2003 H2 to Finland, Europe, and because the car is quite rare here, I can´t get any help from local repair shops, because they don´t have parts for my car, or any special knowledge for this make.
Quite often, perhaps 6 or 7 times of 10, I can´t get the key out from the ignition ( I don´t know the right word for it, anyway the place where you set the key to start the engine).
It sometimestakes frustrating minutes to try to get it out, it has been checked (not opened) and oiled(not too much) but nothing helps.
Alsoquite oftenthe **** of the shifter is not pulling down, when I try to press it, to get the gear in from P-situation. (With brake pedal down, naturally).
Are these parts just "worn out" or do you guys have an explanation how to fix this problem.
I like my car very much, and would like to drive it without these irritating problems.
Thank you for your help,
Kind Regards,
Juha Airio,
Finland

Old 04-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Default RE: Trouble with taking the key off

most likely the problem is with your shifter handle. one thing you may want to try is to loosen the set screw on the shift handle (faces the dash) and make sure the handle is all the way down. i had this problem, but it wasn't inconsistent like yours, and i had to have the shift handle assembly (not the handle) replaced. Might not be too easy to get that repaired in Finland.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 PM

You have no General Motor's product's in Finland, which by the way is in Europe for those of us that didn't know that.[8D]

Old 04-20-2007, 09:35 PM

I'm sorry for your problems...But I will get right to the point..Why did you go through such an expense to have a car over there that you can't get worked on?...I can understand a rare car of some sort worldwide, but a common everyday car like the HUMMER?...Otherwise that's quite a testiment to your love of the vehicle like we have.

Your problem sounds like a shifter linkage adjustment out of wack..Maybe Shorty just said that...But who cares, it's my turn..

Old 04-20-2007, 10:29 PM

Thank you for fast answers, this forum looks great! Just to explain a couple of things, weDO have lots of American cars here, mostly Chevy Vans and Pick Ups, also Chrysler Voyagers and ...no sense to make a list..right ? An H2 is possible to register onlyas a truck (gross weight over 3500 kg), but we have them here, perhaps a hundred, also few Escalades, Navigators etc.
I knew there might be trouble to get it easily fixed if something happens, but to get parts for my car is no problem, (Hummer parts can be found in internet, you can pay with a credit card or money order from your bank, and FedEx + many more shipping companies deliver parts in couple of days).
So I don´t see any reason why not to buy an H2 for everyday use in Finland, perhaps I gave too harsh image of the situation here, sorry about that. I´m positive the problems will be solved and fixed, and after all, you guys gave me already good information, thanks again !!
Have a great weekend !!

Old 04-21-2007, 04:48 AM
JM

If you're not too far from Helsinki I suggest you to take a ferry to Stockholm and then drive either to Oslo or to Hellerup (danmark) where you have two excellent dealers that can check and repair your car.

Adresses can be found on the net for the Oslo dealer but here the Danish dealer:
DAMGAARD-NIELSEN : FERRARI : MASERATI : HUMMER

Old 04-21-2007, 03:59 PM

You da man Jean...[sm=smiley20.gif]