PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

transmission help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Bang? Bang usually is the T case chain, not the tranny, but anything is possible.

Read the friggin manual on what those buttons on the dash do, that's why it is in the glove box.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Banned
Default he said"i can move forward and drive in d1 and d2,"

sounds like the box full of gears (and loose pieces) is the problem

tom

Old 08-05-2010, 10:10 AM

They said the problem is internally so i would have to get a rebuild for a total cost of $1600 before taxes, should i look for a used tranny then do a remove and replace or look into getting a brand new transmission altogether ?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 PM

A good transmission rebuild is fine, I like the GM rebuilt transmissions as they come with a great nationwide warranty. Is your shop sure it's the trans and not the transfer case? $1600 is not a bad price if they do a good job. If you are located in the so. cal area I can recommend a great trans shop.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Originally Posted by drtom
I TOOK QUOTES FROM 2 POSTS,,,SCARY!!

"whats a lock mode good to know for future reference

Possibly could have been i really didn't pay attention to it, so you think the tranny gave ?

That frightened me as well. I feel bad this happened to his truck and hope he gets the issues worked out with the drivetrain but you all should def. do a little research on how your truck works, its capabilities, and its basic dynamics.
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." -Ben Franklin

EDIT: By you all, I meant the guys who didn't know much about their truck. A little knowledge might be able to get them out of a jam, or prevent a future jam. Wasn't referring to any of the guys trying to help them out and/or give them pointers.

Last edited by JCA1981; 08-06-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:29 AM

HI, I am new to this board and a new H-3 owner, but I too have had a transmission problem identical to yours. I made a slow right turn and "BAM" then I could not go any faster than 30 mph !! Something in my tranny locked up and burned out all the clutches. Thankfully, I had purchased an extended warranty so the repairs only cost me the deductable. I just got my H3 back yesterday with a rebuilt tranny. Good luck with your H3. dan

Old 08-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned
Default Warrantee coverage??lukee u

im surprised anybody covers this in any warrantee, its driver inflicted damage!!

YOU SIMPLY CANT DRIVE THESE VEHICLES ON DRY PAVEMENT IN A LOCK MODE,,EITHER TIRES MUST BREAK LOOSE OR,,SOME OTHER PARTS MUST BREAK.

if an h3 gets in lo lock you can tell pretty quick, engine revs and u go slow and your brain should alert u that something is wrong,,,BUT ,,in hi lock its like hi norm,,,until u turn. the outside wheels must turn faster than inside,,OR SOMETHIN MUST BREAK,,THATS IT

i keep repeating this hoping to help. last july i got my first ever 4wd/awd and knew NOTHING so i paid attention when the salesman got awful nervouse when i wanted to see what lo lock felt like. he said,DO NOT TURN THE WHEEL. we went about 50 feet and shifted back to norm.

he explained and i read more about it

soon after,i wired up a flashing red led,right in my eyes in the dash,,LOCK MODE FLASHER.

A few mornings,after driving thru the back field the nite b4 in lock(as xercize for gears) i was greeted with the flasher. lukee me.
i also find it ez to bump a buttom and get in lock. i feel like adding a cover on the buttons.

so,,,face it guys, the warr guys are not going to eat this forever,,u better learn to or find a way to prevent it,,ot pay big$

tom

Last edited by drtom; 08-14-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM

So.., Dr Tom.. Sr Member... I never said I was in Hi Lock mode. I was not in Lock mode at all. BTW., According to my mechanic, and the adjuster, this is a common failure for this transmission. I've been driving Range Rovers for the past 6 years and have been in and out of tough terrain with them. So far, all the H3 has seen is highways and byways. in 4 high

Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

Rover Schmoever. My LR was fun, and was a nasty animal at hill climbs, but my H3 would smoke that LR in every single aspect. Every.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 PM

85_305: I certinally agree on all points !! I finally gave up on Land Rover back in December '09 when I purchased my H3. WOO HOO !!!

Quick Reply: transmission help please