PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Transfercase grinding

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Default Transfercase grinding

I searched the forum to see if I can find an answer to this but no luck. I just tried to shift from H to HL and L with the transmission in N and all I got was a bad grinding sound. I was able to get it into HL after the grinding then back to H and stopped at that. I know that isn't normal, is it? It sounds like I'm tearing the whole thing apart. Can anyone help me with some information about the possible cause and how to fix it? Thanks!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Default RE: Transfercase grinding

When you try to shift to Low range (L) you need to move the transfer case lever firmly and quickly down past the N position (while the transmission is also in N)\\; if it lingers in between gears and you end up with both the transmission and transfer case in N for more than a moment, you will end up with the grinding situation.&nbsp\\; To resolve it, shut the truck off, then shift the transfer case into gear, and restart the truck.&nbsp\\; Basically, when everything is in N, the viscosity of the fluid allows for parts to start spinning despite not being in gear.&nbsp\\; There aren't any strong forces in effect, so damage is unlikely - but it sounds nasty, doesn't it?&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
As you get more experienced with the truck, you will learn to yank the t-case lever past N into the gear you want quickly, and you won't have that problem in the future.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Once again you are of great help!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate that info. I'm going out there right now to yank that sucker! Take care man.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 PM

It worked. Thanks again.