PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Transfer Case Fluid Level

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Default Transfer Case Fluid Level

I have a new transfer case for my 06 Hummer H3 that was put in by the dealership last month and was wondering how do I tell if it's the old model, with plastic fork or a new model with an aluminum fork? And I'm really interested in knowing if I have to add that additional 250ml of fluid to it or was that fixed in later model transfer cases? I've heard that it was. Thanks for you help.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned

you really ought to ask the installing dealer, and let them know you are aware of the possible problem, make it theirs

Old 02-13-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
you really ought to ask the installing dealer, and let them know you are aware of the possible problem, make it theirs
I don't think they know much and I'd like to see for myself. There has to be something on the case that will tell me. I'm thinking that on newer cases the fill plug will be in a different position than on the old TC's. So we don't have to add fluid through a sensor hole. I just don't know what an old TC looks like.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Banned

seems like there were pix of both here last yr,,,search

Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM

On the old cases thereis a metal tag that says to add 250 ml through the speed sensor hole.

I don't see why they would put a 1st generation t case in your vehicle unless they had one in inventory sitting around for a while.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:05 PM

Okay thanks. I haven't seen any pics but I'll search again. Is the fluid suppose to be up to the fill plug hole like with the diff? Thanks again.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:22 AM

I believe on the redesigned t cases they moved the fill hole up to allow more fluid added there. My style takes 1.5 qts and I think the new style takes 1.6 qts. I could only put 1.25 qts in through the fill hole and the other 250ml/.25 qt throught he speed sensor. When you get under there to do it, it will be self explanatory, either it will all go in the fill hole or not.

More importantly, you need to find out what fluid they want in there. There has been some confusion in the past(caused by GM) with what to put in there. Some manuals say Dex III or Dex VI(H approved) and some say GM manual transmission fluid. It was dependent on the year. 06's originally took Dex III. If nothing else, just follow your manual to keep yourseflf in warranty if they didn't/don't give you any other instructions.

Every time I go out to do something I get into it and then think "i should be taking pics" The weather is too snowy for me to hop under there and get a pic of that tag for you but maybe this weekend if you still need one.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 AM

Okay, thanks. You're right about what to put in it, I've seen different posts on that. I've decided to take it into another shop this Friday. They can work with it. I believe the shop that put it in last month overfilled it. They overfilled the diffs for sure. Thanks again.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Going by just your post, if you truly got a "new" transfer case, then you have a metal shift fork and don't have to worry about fluid level.

Did you get a receipt? SN#s on it. Ask for the build date.

Anything after 2007 has a metal fork and you do not need to worry about the fill level issue.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Banned
Default They overfilled the diffs for sure

ya gotta wonder just how they did that huh!

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Fluid Level