PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

transfer case & crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Default transfer case & crossmember

Well now that I know that I have to replace my shift fork, here's the question. Does anyone know in the 06' H3 is the crossmember in the way of removing the transfer case? Just got off the phone with the tranny shop and apparently sometimes this is a problem, he said some times so much that they just pull the transfer case off to the side against the frame when the remove a tranny?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Banned

to drop the tr case the book shows , drop the crossmember,drop the t case.

are they changing the fork in the t case or just where??!

u might want to be sure they know how to take it apart. take your svc manual in for them

Last edited by drtom; 02-08-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM

Support the T-case, remove the crossmember, remove the t-case. It's that simple.

If the Trans shop can't handle removing it, I would suggest finding another shop to do the actual internal work.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 AM

The guy at the tranny shop is great he's done work for me in the past. He hasn't yet looked at the truck I only talked to him on the phone and told him it was the shift fork in the transfer case. He was saying that sometimes on the GM trucks the crossmember prevents the TC from being removed. he said sometimes when they have to R & R a tranny they hook up a come along and pull the TC up next to the frame to remove the tranny. he wasn't sure if the hummer was like that. he did say to stop in and he would take a look. But I figured I would check with you guys since so many of you have had this problem. However I didn't get an owners manual (which I have downloaded) when I bought my truck and I dont have the service manual.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Banned

i really dont want to add to the confusion but its hard to visualize a come along fitting anywhere near the t case and then moving it anywhere,even 2 inches. other than ,down, the t case is as close to the frame as it can get. tell him they aint pulling the tranny if you need a new fork in the t case!

i would be very careful with this shop.

do look in the download you got. it covers this nicely. then you can advise the "mechanic".

Old 02-08-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by MATYLDASMOM
The guy at the tranny shop is great he's done work for me in the past. He hasn't yet looked at the truck I only talked to him on the phone and told him it was the shift fork in the transfer case. He was saying that sometimes on the GM trucks the crossmember prevents the TC from being removed. he said sometimes when they have to R & R a tranny they hook up a come along and pull the TC up next to the frame to remove the tranny. he wasn't sure if the hummer was like that. he did say to stop in and he would take a look. But I figured I would check with you guys since so many of you have had this problem. However I didn't get an owners manual (which I have downloaded) when I bought my truck and I dont have the service manual.
Ahh, I see. He hasn't seen the vehicle yet! Got it.