PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Default tranny swap

hi im new to the hummer forum today as a matter of fact i live in the north east ct. to be exact hilly roads nothin flat has any one heard or has done a tranny swap from a 4wd colorado to a hummer h3 tranny so that i can go from 2wd to 4wd hi then 4wd low gas is so high priced in my state gas tax is crazy high just looking for some info on this not to mention less wear an tear on the front end if any one has any info please let me know thank you frankq

Old 09-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

just a guess, it would seem that if you could do a 2w/4w switch it would involve the transfer case more than the tranny

Old 09-11-2011, 12:50 AM

First, your transmission has NOTHING to do with the 4wd setup we have.

Second, for the cost of a 2wd tcase swap, finding and purchasing new "locking" hubs and the computer mods (programming so the TC and Stabilitrac don't go haywire) you could prob just buy a cheap little econo box for daily driving. Do some calculations on how many miles you would have to drive at $X per gallon to make up the cost of just the t-case swap.....then the hubs, reprogramming and everything else... Where is the savings????

Third, why did you buy a HUMMER. They are ALL 4wd all the time. That's one of the things that makes a HUMMER a HUMMER.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 AM

hey tainter thank thats great info you gave me but i asked about info about what i wanted to do not the three points you made thats why i should of never asked that question knowing that some puritan mr. know it all who thinks his attempt at sarcasm only revels his insecurity as a functioning human being i was told once if you don't have anything good to say shut up did you know that there is a song written about you its by jimmy buffet its called the I-95 song give it a listen because it got you covered in one song tainted also means corrupt which could mean damaged as in a damaged mind go have your mind checked for damage the issues of you being right and opinionated make you look like.... well just listen to the song and once again thank for all your positive info

Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 AM
rsc

Sorry dood. I've gotta agree with Tainter on this one. If you just have to have the HUMMER image and also want good gas mileage for all that hwy time then maybe you want to have some 245/75/16 HT tires mounted up on a set of spare rims. They will save you gas by being lighter and getting the rpms up a little on the hwy so the engine doesn't work as hard. Plus you can always put the stock wheels back on when heading out to the 4x4 park (mall).

Shoot, I thought you were looking to get around the limitations of the small front diff gearing with big tires by trying out different transmission ratios for a lower overall ratio. Now that would be a decent idea to look into, but trying to re-engineer the H3 for better hwy mileage? hahahahahahahaha!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 AM

Nice way to introduce yourself to the forum frankq......I'm sure members here will be lining up to help answer your questions in the future.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:28 AM
rsc

Hey frankq, I've been a parrothead since the late 80's and hadn't heard of the Ahole song til today. The song was written by Fred "August" Campbel and his Spur of the Moment Band, recorded back in '83 at Ocean Studios in Ft. Lauderdale. Jimmy didn't write it and AFAIK never put it out on a record but has done it live a time or two.

now back to our regularly scheduled HUMMER! programming.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:53 AM

You do not buy a Hummer then get to complain about gas mileage. Sell it someone who it not an arrogant ahole and buy a econobox if you want mileage, you have the perfect attitude for a prius driver.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:09 AM

so why didn't you buy a 4wd colorado?? It makes no sense. Even if I thought about getting one, i want the one with the V8 in it, but that is another subject. Chevy makes this realy great small SUV called a tracker they get good mileage. You should get one

Old 09-11-2011, 02:42 PM
rsc

Yeah, that Tracker is awesome! I'd put a V8 in it with some Dana 60's and a little lift to fit 37's and go have a blast in the rocks! Come to think of it, there's one already built up for sale around here...

Quick Reply: tranny swap