PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tranny Linkage Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:45 PM
CWS
Default Tranny Linkage Issue...

Here's one for the books....

Went to leave work Friday night, got in the new H3, turned the ignition key and.......nothing....no solenoid clicks...nothing. While fighting down a WTF panic, I also discovered that the shifter lever was locked down tighter than a bank vault. The shifter button would not depress the level would not move.

Finally pushed the ONSTAR and was in process with being hooked up with Mr. Fixit (roving Hummer guy) when I discovered that if I pushed the shift lever towards the dashboard slightly (about 1/4 inch) while turning the ignition key, the H3 would start. After the H3 started, I also discovered that if I kept the pressure towards the dash the button on the shift lever would work and now everything operated as it was supposed to. Thanked both onstar and Mr. Fixit (who had never heard of my problem) and went on my way.

This whole scenario (minus the onstar contact) has happened several more times, but now I have a process that works. I'm calling the dealer on Monday AM and let them sort it out. I didn't find anything in 'search' so I'm asking if anyone has ever had an issue similar to this ??

It's an '08 Alpha, so that means an automatic tranny.

Cliff

Old 04-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Default RE: Tranny Linkage Issue...

Sounds odd, but should be simple fix I would think. That's why they all come with warranties.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 AM

Sorry to hear about the problems Cliff. Really strange situation. Please let us know what the dealer tells you.

H34me

Old 04-20-2008, 10:42 AM

CWS,
I have a quick question...does your shifter button pop all the way out when it's in drive? If mine is in park the button comes out about 1", but in reverse or drive, it only comes out about a 1/2".....not sure if that is normal. I haven't had any issues with not starting though.........

Old 04-20-2008, 08:22 PM

I have a 07 H3, This past weekend on the trail the linkage popped off the tranny. There is a short arm on the trans with a ball on the end the cable side has a socket (ball and socket) and some weird spring attached to the cable. I was able to put it back together with some wire ties.
not that this helps you at all, i just thought i'd chime in.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 AM
CWS

ORIGINAL: solarflare

CWS,
I have a quick question...does your shifter button pop all the way out when it's in drive? If mine is in park the button comes out about 1", but in reverse or drive, it only comes out about a 1/2".....not sure if that is normal. I haven't had any issues with not starting though.........
Hmmm..... Not sure about the innie and outie aspect of the shift lever button SF. I'll have to check that out when I get my H3 back.

I dropped her off this morning to my dealer, the service advisor saw and felt the issue firsthand when he went to get my mileage and then move the vehicle. We both noticed that I had 4300 miles and decided to do the first service and oil change, with Mobil 1 as the medium. Got an all black H3 for a ride as they think it'll take a full day to do everything.

I'll keep you all posted when I hear what the issue was.

Cliff

Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
CWS

Well, I got her back and they said it was a intermittent short of a wire that went to the shift control. Apparently the wire in question was not where it was supposed to be and chafed causing a short condition. They replaced the wire and it now shifts like new, in fact better than new, the shifter appears to be tighter and more positive in its movement.

Solarflare; my button acts like what you described. In park, it's out about an inch and when 'in gear' it's out about 1/2 inch, also 1/2 inch in neutral.

All else is great, new Mobil 1, rotated tires and checked out from top to bottom.

Cliff