PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Train Horns!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 02:10 PM
Default Train Horns!!

Has anyone installed a loud *** train air horn system on their H2?

Any recommendations on brand/model and where to install it on our trucks?

Old 05-31-2014, 05:22 PM

There's a guy in my area with a bright red H2, with tons of extra chrome accessories. Saw him pull out of driveway of friend he was visiting- he hit his train horns. Pretty obnoxious really and only really amusing once, in my opinion. Hope you're an "extrovert" like this guy is- this owner definitely likes lots of attention. You might want to hear and price a set first...you may want to re-think this one. Or not!

Old 05-31-2014, 05:43 PM

about 20 years ago I was going to do the same thing in this 83 blazer I had so I could drive through the old run down neighborhood where they just removed the train tracks, then at 2 am drive through the area and sound the train horn, get everybody in the area freaked out because train tracks were now gone, anyway a guy told me id have to have a pressurized tank in the truck to get enough air to them he said something like convert a diver tank or something like that...never happened ...probably a good thing

Old 05-31-2014, 05:47 PM

Quite a few people have done it. You need an air compressor, air tank, and the horns. But as mentioned they are extremely obnoxious without question. There are much better options out there.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:57 PM

Train horn are pretty loud, more so then need to be.
They are way too expensive in my book for the occassion beep beep
So of course like Sandman stated, you get these people who feel they must justify the cost of the horns with the continuous use of them

I knew a guy who had a set in a xB, and damn if he didnt sound those off all the time and (again like Sandman stated) it was only funny or interesting the first time.

Personally I would go with something more substantial then the feable meep meep we have (Fiamm and Wolo make some interesting aftermarkets horns), but I dont think true air train horns are the thing.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Default horns

If I were going to all that trouble for a horn system, I'd rather use one of the air horns off my fire engine!!!

It grabs attention without being obnoxious.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by fyr145
If I were going to all that trouble for a horn system, I'd rather use one of the air horns off my fire engine!!!

It grabs attention without being obnoxious.
Fyr, did you type that correctly?
It gets the attention without being obnoxious?

I know the trucks were have for my department have the two standard fire truck sirens... the Carson stutter type, and the old air crank styled sound. Both we do not use for long periods because are obnoxiously loud and disturbing.

Given though as discussed before in other forums and topics, an "emergency" type siren does tend to make people move.

Personally I thought about the Big Rig type horns. But of course, they are expensive and need an air setup. So I went with the ACDF setup.

I figure between that and the red and white flashers on my POV, I should be able to move people out of the way. (hahaha yeah right)

Old 06-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Thanks for all of the replies.

My main motivation for this happens when I get flipped the bird or cut off in traffic and my blood boils over. The satisfaction of someone jumping from a train horn blast must be incredible.

But I agree, too expensive for the occasional road rage scenario.

Paint ball gun?

Old 06-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
Fyr, did you type that correctly?
It gets the attention without being obnoxious?

I know the trucks were have for my department have the two standard fire truck sirens... the Carson stutter type, and the old air crank styled sound. Both we do not use for long periods because are obnoxiously loud and disturbing.

Given though as discussed before in other forums and topics, an "emergency" type siren does tend to make people move.

Personally I thought about the Big Rig type horns. But of course, they are expensive and need an air setup. So I went with the ACDF setup.

I figure between that and the red and white flashers on my POV, I should be able to move people out of the way. (hahaha yeah right)
Our rigs have BOTH the electronic siren and the mechanical wind up type sirens. But we have a siren brake that we can use to help stop it from a long winding down. The electronic siren we can just shut off. Youre right in that people seem to relate to the those sirens easier then most others (as long as they can hear them). With their stereos blasting, air conditioners blowing on high, texting/talking on the phone, and just generally not paying much attention, its no wonder we aren't involved in more crashes.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by dowork
Thanks for all of the replies.

My main motivation for this happens when I get flipped the bird or cut off in traffic and my blood boils over. The satisfaction of someone jumping from a train horn blast must be incredible.

But I agree, too expensive for the occasional road rage scenario.

Paint ball gun?
Road rage in getting worse in this country. With the advent of the 2nd amendment, (at least in my state) people are starting to carry firearms more readily and thus we are seeing more incidents of road rage where someone does something wrong, the other party reacts, the first party retaliates and it gets worse from there.

I dont like to be flipped off either, but consider the alternatives, let the incident pass and move on. Save your money for something a bit more constructive.

Quick Reply: Train Horns!!