PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tpm....service

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by gonzoman1991
spare does read on 06 modles anything 07+ has no sensor in spare
06 had a sensor in spare but the system still only reads 4 sensors at a time.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 01-25-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 PM

As Doc stated, the TPM system can only read 4 sensors at a time. If you rotate the spare in you will have to reset the TPM system to "see" the spare you rotated in. If not the TPM system will be reading the tire you just rotated to the spare. Oh, and some early build 07s did have TPMs in the spare also.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

My early 07 has a sensor in the spare, during 07 production (I believe Feb - Mar) GM stopped putting sensors in the spare. As pointed out by RKSmith, the H3 can ONLY MONITOR 4 TPMS sensors at one time no matter what year, no matter how many sensors you have. If you get a flat, you have to program in the sensor in the spare (assuming you have one) to take the flat out of the loop.

Its pretty simple to tell if your spare has a sensor, look at the valve stem, if it is metal = sensor; rubber = no sensor.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TAINTER
As Doc stated, the TPM system can only read 4 sensors at a time. If you rotate the spare in you will have to reset the TPM system to "see" the spare you rotated in. If not the TPM system will be reading the tire you just rotated to the spare. Oh, and some early build 07s did have TPMs in the spare also.
Yeah.... that.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You guys with all the "problems", what is your tire PSI?

Set them all at exactly 38 cold.

BTW the spare is not monitored, an H3 can only monitor 4 sensors, so unless you have a spare that was one of the original 4 on the ground, it is out of the loop.
Yup I have done that with 2 different gauges in case 1 was inaccurate. All at 38 psi cold. I did trust that the tire shop reset the TPM's correctly but I will reset them myself to rule that out.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 PM

I have been having an issue with the low tire pressure warning on my just bought 2010 Alpha. We drove it over 450 miles home after the purchase with no problems. Drove around home doing normal things for a few days. Then one morning on the way to the gym the low tire pressure warning came on. Took it to Big O tire store where we have bought tires for years. He found a wood screw in the left back tire. He patched the tire and put it back on. After driving for a few minutes the warning went off and all was good. Until… this morning again the low pressure came on again after driving a few miles. Went back to Big O and he took if off put the tire in a thing of water and said the air leak was from the sensor tire thingy and he was afraid to tighten it too much so we had to go to the local dealership (uggh) and they looked at it and just said it needed to be tightened more. They did that and the warning went off. Hopefully tomorrow it will be okay.

The Big O tire place mentioned the problem with the sensor and using the spare. He said the warning light would still be on because of the above mentioned stuff.

What a pain spending two days dealing with this. But I love my new hummer. Fingers crossed that I won’t have to spend another day fixing this issue. I have a headache from trying to register it with the DMV today. That is another thread.

Nothing one can do about unseen nails on the road. Just mad that I had to find one with my new ride and not the old one.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
06 had a sensor in spare but the system still only reads 4 sensors at a time.

touche kind sir, i just assumed it read all 5 because on some cars it does. like toyota.

It is also recommended to follow the door panel reading for tire inflation. it does not matter if tires are aftermarket

Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 PM

It is also recommended to follow the door panel reading for tire inflation. it does not matter if tires are aftermarket
Kinda true if you are running the same size tire like 285/75R16 and replace it with a 285/75R16. Untrue if you are changing the overall size of the tire or the width. A taller tire @ the door panel PSI will have more sidewall flex (feel sloppy) and wider tire will have a larger contact patch that will require a different PSI than the door panel sticker.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM

I have 285 Duratracs.....anyone know what psi they should be filled to, thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by gotafish
I have 285 Duratracs.....anyone know what psi they should be filled to, thanks
Hey, how do you like the Dura Tracs? I'm thinkin' that will be my next tire. the 285 size. Was thinkin of going with the BFG AT. But I have a friend who swears by the Dura Tracs. I don't plan on offroading with my Hum. But, since i'm in the lovely state of Oregon, we get a TON of rain and do like to go up to the mountain (snow) lookin' for as much input as I can get from people with H3's and putting these tires on them.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Tpm....service