PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Towing 2009 Town & Country behind an I-5 2006 H3

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Default Towing 2009 Town & Country behind an I-5 2006 H3

Hi,

This is probably a very stupid question to begin with, but I will still ask.

Any idea whether I could tow a 2009 Chrysler Town & Country minivan behind my 2006 H3 I-5?

I know the towing capacity is 4500lbs. The Town & Country alone weighs 4300lbs and then there would be the trailer weight on top of that. My H3 has the towing package, so a trailer with brakes would work, but I don't think the inline 5-cylinder engine will be able to handle the weight.

Any thoughts?
tallbiker

Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

Oh ya it will handle it! It might lug in the hills and stuff but it will pull it.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:16 PM

Everything I've read indicates the following order of concern for towing breaks, frame, then the engine. So you have to worry if your vehicle has the stopping power which it sounds like you've taken care of, then the frame which the weight of the item being towed actually stresses. The amount it stresses it depends on the fulcrum point on the item being towed. If all four wheels are on the ground the actual force pulling down on the frame through the hitch is minimal if you have the front tires raised and only the rear tires on the ground your putting more strain on the rear end. then the engine and mostly this concern was if your having to pull uphill then you may run into issues but if its relatively flat surface it might be slow going but you should be fine. I've also read keep it out of overdrive if you like your transmission which my hummer doesn't have and I assume yours doesn't either.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 PM

I have pulled a Ford tractor with bush hog on a double axle trailer, no trailer brakes for 60 miles one way several times. Tractor weight was 4800lbs add bush hog and trailer was probably close to 6k. I took back roads and took my time and had no issues at all. Even stopping wasn't a problem but started the process a lot quicker than normal. Had power to pull but wasn't going to jump out and pass someone for sure. If not in a big hurry and a normally conservative driver you should be fine, no problem.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Towed my friends '43 ****** MB from NYC to Shelton CT on a dual axle UHaul. No trailer brakes, only surge brakes which only helpful if the trailer were to come detached from the H3.
No probs. whatsoever. Very mild hills. Took the overdrive off and popped the hood when on local roads. When on the interstate, cruised at 55 in reg. drive. Obv. takes a lot longer to get up to cruising speed but it can get there no prob. Just don't hot rod it and push it cause then she'll start to run hot. Def. want to watch your stopping distance. The brakes will be less than steller and not very responsive due to all the extra weight. The drag caused by the trailer will drop your speed as soon as you let off the gas. I use this trick while getting off offramps or when I see brake lights in the distance so I wouldn't overwork the H3 brakes.
The Town & Country may weigh a bit more than the truck I pulled but you should be just fine. Just take it nice and easy. Try to plan a route that will have the least amount of stop & go as possible.

Name:  Hummer-******.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  50.9 KB

Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 AM

THE TOW RATING IS THERE FOR A REASON, a few miles around town you can get away with other wise your pushing your luck on several levels!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Banned

These trucks are half ton trucks.. they can handle it. The only issue is brakes and the motor going thru hills.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 AM

Are your tbars cranked? I wouldn't attempt this if you haven't cranked your tbars.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

^Perhaps the most serious question asked yet.. the fate of the original posters trip lies in his tbars and nerfs.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 85_305
^Perhaps the most serious question asked yet.. the fate of the original posters trip lies in his tbars and nerfs.
LOL! Good one 85_305 - You do have a good sense of humor!

Quick Reply: Towing 2009 Town & Country behind an I-5 2006 H3