PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tow Capacity... Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 PM

One other thing Doc. I COMMEND you for that drive through Chicago and across 80/85 with a boat in tow. I used to live in Chicago and bet that was a white knuckle experience... most heavily traveled Semi thoroughfare in the nation. "Bang, roll em up!"

Old 09-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redneckhoosier
One other thing Doc. I COMMEND you for that drive through Chicago and across 80/85 with a boat in tow. I used to live in Chicago and bet that was a white knuckle experience... most heavily traveled Semi thoroughfare in the nation. "Bang, roll em up!"
Your 1500#s for the tandem Shorelander is probably right on.

I have relatives in Arlington Heights and make that run in wifey's ride couple times a year. Been better the last 2 than the 5 before that. With the boat behind the 3 it actually worked out very well, traffic was so heavy that afternoon I doubt I ever got to 40MPH until 20 Miles into IN. Less strain on the truck, more strain on my brain.

I found an 18 wheeler on the CB that was heading my way and tucked in behind him for 150 miles. I wouldn't recommend that long range repeated towing, but my 3 did it that time. For what you are doing, you should be fine. Just be careful.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:10 PM

Hey as a followup I thought I'd post some useful info for archive. Seems my current Reese 3 boll (misspelled on purpose as above the slang police **** out boll spelled with an A lol) sits up too tight to the spare tire. I don't know my drop yet because I need to tow a trailer out of storage to measure on flat ground.

I was looking around at a big box and found the nice new carbon forged series Reese but the boll (again lol) on it was only 2". I need 2 5/16. I emailed Reese today and below is response.

For anyone that needs MORE than 6000lb mount and boll here's what you need to look for:

Boll mount with 2 “ drop (16000 lbs. capacity/older label stickers may say 12,000)
Part # 21330 (redneck edit - 3" drop is part #21331)

2 5/16” Hitch ball (12,000 lbs. capacity)
Part # 74294

Nice that these are forged too and I had a hard time finding online without that Reese cust service help. I've emailed them again to see if they have an extension rated >6000 and will let you know.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:55 PM

How much weight total will you be towing now? loaded with everything you will be carrying?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:07 AM

Sorry to bring this back up but needed some advise before purchasing. I towed the boat trailer home for cleanup last weekend and took the spare off and just used my reese tri-boll which was WAY too high. I've measured and need precisely a 3" drop. I can either buy a 2" drop boll mount or 4" drop boll mount. Does it really matter which since 3" drop can't be found? My mentality is that 2" drop might be better at keeping the weight rearward on boat/brailer and 4" would put more strain on receiver/truck. Downside of the 2" would be the little wiggle room with the spare. I've emailed Reese without response, any thoughts here?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:52 PM

I don't know where you are looking but you can get a 3" drop even at walmart. They are everywhere. that's the same one I got from walmart. I just checked and they still carry them. But pretty much any auto parts store will have them. there are also adjustable ones too. If you need 3" make sure to get it so that your trailer is sitting level.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:57 PM

Thanks egro but can you point me to a link? Based on my thread I need more than 6000 lbs in a 2" receiver and 2 5/16 ball. Yes the Alpha is rated 6k but rather than buy a 6k rated mount and ball I wanted to go a bit over so as to eliminate the weakest link so to speak. I don't find anything off google as such and the adjustable seems overkill to me and too expensive. I understand level is "perfect" but will an 1" either way really matter and which "way" would you side on, i.e. 2" drop or 4" drop. Thats really my question.

Last edited by redneckhoosier; 11-03-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:10 PM

I picked up a 3" drop not long after got the hummer this summer and it's perfect for my boat, and still a little high for my wave runner trailer, but works. the 2" drop was acceptable for my boat, but not the wave runner.

As far as tow capacity, while I didn't like to, the my H3 with I5, towed my 21' SeaBoss WA just fine even on steep ramps almost weekly since I got the H3. Though always took it slow not to beat the heck out of the truck.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 AM

I use a 5 inch drop on my 2007 H3 I5 to tow a 19 foot bayliner. I tow it all over and have had no trouble, except that I slow up a bit (10-15) on steep hills. Engine runs slightly warmer than without the boat, but that is to be expected. My boat and trailer weighs about 3,500 lbs at most.

The 5 inch drop makes the trailer perfectly level. The 2" and 3" drops had the trailer (and boat) riding at a slight incline towards the back, which is never good!

Quick Reply: Tow Capacity... Bad?