PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Total power / fuel / failure at 55 MPH!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Unhappy Total power / fuel / failure at 55 MPH!!

2007 H3 5 speed manual, 70K miles. Only mods are KN air filter and dual exhaust.
Ok on June 10th about 6pm we were driving home (my husband was driving) from a job approximately 40 miles from home. Open road cruising along right at limit of 55mph no cruise control used. Wipers and Radio both on. light rain falling. Suddenly my husband, who is driving calmly states "We're dead" I say what are you talking about? He repeats "we're dead we have no throttle, engine is dead" I glance at the dummy gages and reads -reduced power- as he coasts to the shoulder of the road. Then he tries repeatedly to start the unit. Once traffic dies down the one thing we can not hear for sure, When key turned one stroke toward ignition there is no sound at all. No hum of the pump priming up. Luckily we at this point were only 7 miles from home to be towed!

Has anyone experienced this effect? Tomorrow will be first day off and dry, none rain day to begin figuring out the issue.

We have several thoughts. .and questions. Would think this to be a low problematic kind of pump, nothing exotic, hard to believe failed at so few miles. Now earlier in the day on way to job driving though the town ( Boulder ) low on fuel and knowing long drive back home pull into local station and fuel up. Now looking back this station was right next to extreme road work being done right along station. Is it possible, as it was long ago, for all the heavy equipment demolishing all the pavement down to base and compaction etcetera to have knocked debris loose in the fuel storage tank and we sucked some of that up causing a jamb up in our pump?

In any case we feel we will have to drop the tank and siphon off all the fuel and check it over then look for any other causes!

We still have the basic OnStar . . Does their diagnostic catch things like this? Would calling them really be of any use? For that matter can they have some glitch that could remote disable our unit??

He has just tried starting the unit and gets extreme rough bleating like attempt?

Had Jeeps just about for ever, been through a fuel pump or two with them, Remote and in tank. Had both the XJ's and the ZJ's And even had to put a couple on big dodge diesel ( a horse of a whole different breed hehe) . . . But never anything at this low of mileage. and never had it die, totally without any warning while cruising along!

Any suggestions, advise, help will be greatly appreciated! We've been rather trouble free until this point hate to have ruined such a streak!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 PM

i won't be as much help as others...

but, i know that if the DIC reads "reduced power" - mode, there is a code being "thrown."

Onstar is supposed to be able to read codes.

good luck!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 PM

OK we do have fuel to the rail . . . Attached reader . . .says 2 codes found. First was 068 (MAP) and second said Throttle Position Sensor? The chances of 2 issues codes at once?
And again failure with no hint of warning?

By the Way . . . .called OnStar, the gentleman I talked to could / would do nothing further than look on his computer and tell us they showed no issues as of May 24 Report. (Course not!) And that he was sure if we took it to the dealer they should be able to get us fixed up. So much for their diagnostics! Guess it's a great system if we want to sit and wait for the June 24th report. Hope if ever we need it their emergency response is not quite so vague!

Then wondering about PCM. Dread the thought. Seems to often be an issue?
Also wondering IF were the case if we're still covered on the PCM under warranty? If we read our warranty book right believe says PCM covered up to 80K miles. Could we be so lucky on this unit? If this is the issue. (missed warranty on Ram Diesel Injector pump by 10K miles!)

Old 06-18-2010, 11:29 PM

you might try removing the negative battery cable for 5 or 10 minutes. see if that resets something? you could search those code numbers on the colorado/canyon forums, too which would give you food for thought.

Last edited by whatever; 06-18-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 PM

sent you a pm w/ more info on the codes & you might want read these posts

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...=reduced+power

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...=reduced+power

Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Default OK Shocker Answer!

OK folks here's the scoop. We towed our poor H3 to dealer before even bright and early on Monday with note of what befell us. (See Pervious posting) We wondered when did not hear anything for a while then a call just before noon.

Our engine completely blew up internally! At that point the shop tech said he only had unrecognizable pieces! We are in bit of shock to say the least.

This is a unit that always ran great. It has 70K miles and still a minimum 19 - 20MPG (Love that 5 speed. Also we try to never use the cruise.) My husband always made sure got proper service. We didn't alter unit for higher preformance, excluding exhust and air filter. We're somewhat "oldtimers" Though we travel a lot we're not in any hurry to get where we're going so have rarily pushed the speed limit! (Did get stopped in UTAH for Not driving over 65, in left lane, we were only doing 60,(Well we slowed from 65 when saw police car!) though not another car for miles in either direction! Only given a warning must drive 65 in the left! haha) So needless to say we've never redlined the unit! And being a 5 speed should have been easier on it yet!

Anyway we never heard a sound. Not grind, or squeal, clink, bump, pop, Went from 50MPH to coasting as if the key had been shut off. No outward sign of damage, As in dripping oil or rod sticking through a hole!! Guessing must be top end trouble. Haven't been told further other than a new long block is a good one week away. (Guess Denver not big enough to stock a spare.) The Tech seemed knowledgeable enough, my husband asked a few questions (BTW my husband used to work in a speed shop building race car engines back in the day) Tech said this is not an usual occurrence. That this was a first for him and he'd been here for some years.

That's the story! Has anyone else experienced this? Are we that rare one? We thought we researched this unit pretty good before purchase. It seemed to be pretty reliable steady powerplant. Though maybe not most powerful, still just a good basic work horse. We've had no complaints. Well until this!

All I can think is . . . we were suppose to back in middle of Northern Nebraska 150 miles the other side of nowhere. And was terrible raining weekend to boot! So glad work here got in the way and had to stay home!! Would have been hundreds of miles tow (probably by a friendly farmer) just to get to a dealer we didn't know! Then find our sad way home! Oddly enough in ways we were lucky! That and thank god under warranty!

Last edited by Bajadreamers; 06-23-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Grammar