PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Torsion Lift/Tire/Shock Combination

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Default Torsion Lift/Tire/Shock Combination

Just got done doing the torsion lift (level) process.
  1. I did 7 full turns, then backe it off 1/2 turn to get a good level with the rear spacing.
    • This took several drives and adjustments for everything to settle in place.
  2. Showing 23.5" from wheel center to fender lip at all 4 locations.
  3. I went with Rancho RS5000 Series Shocks after doing some research.
  • Front: RS5376
Specs: Shock Absorber; Front w/1 in. Lift; Front w/1.5 in. Lift; Front w/1.75 in. Lift; Front w/2 in. Lift; Front w/2.5 in. Lift; RS5000 Series; Not For Use With Afermarket Shock Spacers Or Relocation Brackets
  • Rear: RS5308
Specs: Shock Absorber; Rear w/0 in. Lift/Drop; Rear w/1 in. Lift; Rear w/1.5 in. Lift; Rear w/2 in. Lift; Rear w/2.5 in. Lift; RS5000 Series; Not For Use With Afermarket Shock Spacers Or Relocation Brackets

These suit the purpose to accomodate for the lift, without spending double for the RS9000 Series Shocks.

I got the full set for $193.00 from Advance Auto...they have a 20% sale going on now. Store gave me the 20% Online discount in the store, so I didn't have to wait for shipping.

I installed Hercules 285/75/16 tires to get close to 33" without increasing my footprint on the pavement too much. Thought about the 305's but passed.

Got them from Tire Discounters. $703 total installed (tax, mounting, balance, alignment included)

Needed tires, so timed the torsion adjustment, knowing I needed an alignment, and gettign it for free with the tire purchase.

Maybe the info above can help out anyone else looking to do the torsion lift method and knowing this combo works.

I will post pictures soon so you can get the full visual.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 AM

You should be good with 23.5, I have been running that for about a year.
I don't like your shock choice. I like bilstien 5100 better, they will give you a better ride.
285/75/16 are good choice good highway ride and still a good offroad size.
I like a A/T better for every day use, I running BFG's.
Your on way to a nice looking H3

Last edited by mvrocky; 02-22-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Cool...

Are the Bilstiens smoother on the rebound?

I went with the Ranchos based on the specs stating that it was for the lift I was doing and cost as well. So far so good.

The Hercules tires I got are A/T's...smooth & quite riding.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Supercharged
Cool...

Are the Bilstiens smoother on the rebound?

I went with the Ranchos based on the specs stating that it was for the lift I was doing and cost as well. So far so good.

The Hercules tires I got are A/T's...smooth & quite riding.
Bilstiens are much more smoother than Rachos. It's all in the valving and gas presser of the shock. I had Rachos in the passed on my Jeep and replaced them in a years time.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 PM

Supercharged: Shocks are a very subjective subject, just like tires.

I have had the Bilsteins and hated the ride. Went back to the Adventure package shocks with the 1/2" Hunner nut trick and never looked back.

I'm sure your RS5000s ride very nice and fit within your budget. Keep on with the mods. Plenty of people have taken the Bilsteins off due to the harshness of their ride. Like I said, subjective.

By the way, when the Bilsteins start leaking in 1 to 2 years and you try to get them to cover them under their warranty ........... Let's just say they WILL NOT, without getting into that whole story.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Supercharged: Shocks are a very subjective subject, just like tires.

I have had the Bilsteins and hated the ride. Went back to the Adventure package shocks with the 1/2" Hunner nut trick and never looked back.

I'm sure your RS5000s ride very nice and fit within your budget. Keep on with the mods. Plenty of people have taken the Bilsteins off due to the harshness of their ride. Like I said, subjective.

By the way, when the Bilsteins start leaking in 1 to 2 years and you try to get them to cover them under their warranty ........... Let's just say they WILL NOT, without getting into that whole story.
I would love to hear the story about how Bilsteins did you wrong , He is right shocks are personal choice. look around the forum you will see more people are using Bilstins than any brand. I have them on my wife's Grand Cherokee for 4 yrs and still loving them and I had the on my Jeep Rubicon for the same time frame and no problems. Don't take my word, call around to places that sale offroad prouducts, ask them and read magazine article's like in 4wheel & offroad etc...