PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Torsion Key Vs. Leveling Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
if he felt the shock hit,,how could it? xcept wheel going DOWN,it cant go up any higher than it ever did,,,BUMPSTOP!!
now youre right about overextension and there you need a SHORTER shock to make up for the lift.

you could raise the top- end of shock if possible and then have exactly the same space as stock.

its so eazy!!

remember,longer shocks risk deadly dropout!!
so keep them short

tom

WoW!!! That was a thorough analysis there drTom...now it's clear, longer shocks riskier than shorter factory, therefore, i'd never touch my factory any longer, just align them and i'm ready to roll! But... if the ride isn't good enough then i'll go wid that option!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Default bilsteins or no bilsteins.

As for offroad theory on whether to upgrade shocks or not, I'm not very mechanically inclined, nor do I offroad much so I won't comment. I do know comfort though. My friend has his leveled with stock shocks, and I have mine leveled with bilsteins. We both do 95% highway driving. We agree on the difference, and he is looking to buy the bilsteins next. Some of these guys will tell you there is no difference, but going from his to mine is a big difference. His H3 rides like a brick compared to mine. I feel like my leveled ride with the bilsteins rides better than factory ever did.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by billystric
I have cranked my T-Bars 2 1/2 times on both sides. It does not look like I have done anything. What is the measurements from the center of the tire to the bottom of the fender supposed to be after turning T-Bars 2 1/2 times?
Don't worry about the number of turns. All trucks are different. I had to cranks 8 turns on the passenger side & 6 1/2 turns on the driver's side.
Go by the measurement from the top of the fender well to the center of the wheel.
I run my H3 at 23 1/2" with no problems.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11428

Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by billystric
WOW.. I did not know you can turn them that much. I was just turning them to level out my H3. How much did it lift yours after turning your T-Bars that much?
Yep it's different on all trucks. And it depends on the size breaker bar. Most people use huge breaker bars.. I had a 1/2" driver with NO breaker bar, so the distance in cranking it makes for less/more turns than a smaller driver. It lifted my truck to like 23" from center fender to center wheel.

Originally Posted by dbrown6240
As for offroad theory on whether to upgrade shocks or not, I'm not very mechanically inclined, nor do I offroad much so I won't comment. I do know comfort though. My friend has his leveled with stock shocks, and I have mine leveled with bilsteins. We both do 95% highway driving. We agree on the difference, and he is looking to buy the bilsteins next. Some of these guys will tell you there is no difference, but going from his to mine is a big difference. His H3 rides like a brick compared to mine. I feel like my leveled ride with the bilsteins rides better than factory ever did.
There's no denying that the bilstein-driven trucks will be more comfortable. It's all a matter of preferance. I dont mind my truck riding like a truck. Some people wish to retain that cadillac-feel to their truck.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 85_305
And it depends on the size breaker bar. Most people use huge breaker bars.. I had a 1/2" driver with NO breaker bar, so the distance in cranking it makes for less/more turns than a smaller driver.
I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't matter what kind of tool you use, 1 turn of the bolt is still 1 turn of the bolt.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 AM

I am sorry but to be honest I am confused either!!!

Oh well!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't matter what kind of tool you use, 1 turn of the bolt is still 1 turn of the bolt.
X2 - You mark the bolt and the frame in the same spot. The tool has nothing to do with the amont of turns of the bolt head in reference to the frame mark. 1 turn is 1 full rotation of the bolt head!

Every vehicle is different when it come to Torsion Bar leveling. Don't forget that after you do TB level your vehicle go out and hit some bumps and brake pretty hard to set the TBs. Tou may notice that you need to readjust them once they set. All of our H3/H3Ts have been set to between 23 1/4" and 23 1/2". I found that to be the best comprimse of lift, look, On Road adn OffRoad ride.

On our Alphas I did not find a need for the aftermarket shocks or bumpstops. However on the I5, the aftermarket shocks & bumpstops did make a great difference. I think it may have to do with the extra weight of the V8 and the different spring rate of the Alpha TBs.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
Not everybody marks the bolt. Most people think "Gee, I just turned this here wrench, and I think the bolt made a rotation". And the length of breaker bar does in fact impact how many rotations per crank you can achieve.

Nonetheless, the amount of turns is pointless. Just measure it really good.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:56 AM
Banned
Default back on earth,,

we earthlings need an explanation of this.

"the length of breaker bar does in fact impact how many rotations per crank you can achieve."

just go slow cause we not very smart

Old 10-01-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 85_305
And the length of breaker bar does in fact impact how many rotations per crank you can achieve

?????360 degrees is 1 full rotation of the bolt. If you swing a wrench in a 45 degree arc, I don't care if the wrench is 6" or 60", it's still only going to travel 45 degrees!! I can see now why you chose the military over engineering school!

Quick Reply: Torsion Key Vs. Leveling Kit