PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Torsion Key Vs. Leveling Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Default Torsion Key Vs. Leveling Kit

The guy that does work on my car says he does not think I can level it with the torsion key and the lift.. I am real detailed with things I want to do with my h3 and looking at it sometimes I think it needs the levling kit.. whats the deal?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:59 PM

The leveling kits that I have seen come in two flavors.

1. You turn up the stock torsion bars and add new Bilstein front shocks.

2. You purchase new torsion keys from someplace like ReadyLift or Procomp, which typically come with front shock spacers so you can use the stock shocks.

Now there are lots of people here that will say you can turn up the stock torsion bars and leave the shocks alone. Being I'm a mechanical engineer, I don't buy it. You cannot raise a vehicle 2.25" and not run into a problem at some point with shocks meant for a shorter travel. Lots of people on here look to go the cheapest way they can ... if it seems to work ... then it must ... right?

I truely feel the right way to do it is a combo of 1 & 2. Install new torsion keys along with new front shocks. But again, any and all methods have been tried and nobody seems to have a complaint about any of them. So I would say it's what you feel comfortable with. Remember with any of them, you will need a front end alignment. Hope this helps more than confuses the issue. I can bet you get many more responses that all say something different

Old 09-28-2010, 05:53 PM

aaahhhh the neverending question....

Go here http://www.clubhummeroffroad.com/for...d=1#post174189

everything you need to know is there.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WarMongur
The leveling kits that I have seen come in two flavors.

1. You turn up the stock torsion bars and add new Bilstein front shocks.

2. You purchase new torsion keys from someplace like ReadyLift or Procomp, which typically come with front shock spacers so you can use the stock shocks.

Now there are lots of people here that will say you can turn up the stock torsion bars and leave the shocks alone. Being I'm a mechanical engineer, I don't buy it. You cannot raise a vehicle 2.25" and not run into a problem at some point with shocks meant for a shorter travel. Lots of people on here look to go the cheapest way they can ... if it seems to work ... then it must ... right?

I truely feel the right way to do it is a combo of 1 & 2. Install new torsion keys along with new front shocks. But again, any and all methods have been tried and nobody seems to have a complaint about any of them. So I would say it's what you feel comfortable with. Remember with any of them, you will need a front end alignment. Hope this helps more than confuses the issue. I can bet you get many more responses that all say something different
It's VERY rare that you blow out the stock shocks from over extending them. I've had my tbars cranked for a good 5k miles doing anything from rock crawling (teet tottering on 2wheels, piece of cake), ditch crossings, and everything else and have had ZERO issues. Guys on club hummer have been driving with cranked tbars for 50,000 miles+ with ZERO issues. On STOCK shocks.

BTW I had my tbars cranked 3" or 2.75"

Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Banned
Default matter of fact,,

the shock on a cranked truck would be less likely to bottom out as the wheel goes up since its higher,and the bump stop would stop it.
at the other end,going down,the shock is the only thing to limit travel of the suspension,so it keeps the stuff from falling apart,and more so on a cranked trk.

a longer shock might let the wheel fall enuf to loose the axel,,as we have heard about,,??

just fwiw

tom

Old 09-29-2010, 12:18 AM

So...you mean cranking the T-bars keeping the factory shocks as long as you do the alignment after cranking it is just okay especially to people who never go off- roading????? No need for bump stops either???

Just asking and needing an answer for anyone concerned...pulleeezzz!!!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned
Default yeah,just align

when u crank tbars you whack the factory spec alignment.
u never really get that back but a new alignment compromizes and gets back close to the right place.

you wont hurt shocks,they are the stopper for down travel.

bump stop keeps from metal to metal smashing on hard bumps,keeps it quiet. if u never hit bottom u get a softer ride. no need to change except for ego listings of mods.

Last edited by drtom; 09-29-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 AM

Great info there Tom Thanks a lot!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:43 AM

In my experience, there is a night and day difference in the ride quality after adding Bilsteins and bumpstops. I cranked the tbars and had an alignment done and after I noticed the marked difference in ride quality and hearing my shock bottom out on any little dip in the road, I decided it was time for new shocks and the bump stops were cheap, so I put those on there too.

Like I said, this was my experience and the way it brought my truck back to near factory ride quality, made the $200 for the shocks/stops entirely worth it for me.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by drtom
the shock on a cranked truck would be less likely to bottom out as the wheel goes up since its higher,and the bump stop would stop it.
at the other end,going down,the shock is the only thing to limit travel of the suspension,so it keeps the stuff from falling apart,and more so on a cranked trk.

a longer shock might let the wheel fall enuf to loose the axel,,as we have heard about,,??

just fwiw

tom
Wow.. thats one of the most coherent posts I've seen you type! Congrats! hehe

Originally Posted by RaYoSeKiZ
So...you mean cranking the T-bars keeping the factory shocks as long as you do the alignment after cranking it is just okay especially to people who never go off- roading????? No need for bump stops either???

Just asking and needing an answer for anyone concerned...pulleeezzz!!!!!
Yes, thats fine. People put on the bump stops to prevent nose dive under braking, and the bilsteins because they want a car-like ride. But I'd certainly advise taking your truck offroad after you crank the tbars and ditch the nerfs.

Originally Posted by drtom
no need to change except for ego listings of mods.
Isn't that the truth

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
In my experience, there is a night and day difference in the ride quality after adding Bilsteins and bumpstops. I cranked the tbars and had an alignment done and after I noticed the marked difference in ride quality and hearing my shock bottom out on any little dip in the road, I decided it was time for new shocks and the bump stops were cheap, so I put those on there too.

Like I said, this was my experience and the way it brought my truck back to near factory ride quality, made the $200 for the shocks/stops entirely worth it for me.
true true true. IT's all about the ride quality. If you dont mind your truck riding like a truck, keep the factory shocks/bump stops. If you want it to ride better than a cadillac (again) after cranking the tbars, get the shocks/bumpstops.

Quick Reply: Torsion Key Vs. Leveling Kit