PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tires wearing SUPER quick! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 AM
Question Tires wearing SUPER quick! HELP!

Ok so I know this isn't for SUT'ers but I really need some urgent help! I have 24x10 Mazzi Hulk Chrome Wheels with Kumho MT KL71 38x14x24 Mud Tires (8 ply). My front 2 tires wore down really quickly and I haven't got a clue why this is happening so I needed some advice from yall Hummer experts. My rears are fine it's just my last 2 in the front wore down in 2 months of about 2500 miles. So I bought 2 more and boy was I upset ($$$$)!!! They didn't even offer me a discount! But what's my problem? Because it's starting to do it again on these 2!! It isnt the air pressure or just being a bad batch of tires or out of alignment. I've had it all checked out! I bought a Rough Country leveling kit when I bought the wheels and tires and had that installed BUT really after they installed it my hummer sut is sitting higher in the front with a lower rear. I didn't question it at the time because I just thought that was how it was supposed to be.

Any suggestions on what's going on and what I should do?

Here's 2 pics of my truck: (taken w/ my phone)
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3...8002151065.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1...7996151065.jpg

Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 AM

Your links dont work...

Obviously something in your front end is out of alignment... I have the exact same rims w/ Toyo's tires and a 6" lift. If you just swapped out the keys, I'm betting their cranked to hell to fit fit those wheels...gotta be if your saying the front end is higher than the back now. Any time you adjust the keys, should get a front end alignment after. Pretty sure the higher up you go, the more toe in the wheels get if not realigned.

Coule be idler or pitman arms worn out also...Jack up one of the front wheels (other 3 on the ground) have someone hold the steering wheel and then you try to wiggle the wheel in the air from left to right...like your forcing the wheels to turn. It shouldn't move at all. Do that on both sides. If you have movement there, your wheels are basically just flopping what ever way they feel like driving down the road.

If you've had the same shop doing all the work, i'd take it to someone else. I had two shops in a row (within weeks) both do alignments and both said my idler/pitman arms were good (their not), and one shop said my inner tierod was junk, when I believe it was good.

FYI on those kumho tires- They extermely soft tires and wear fast. Buddy of mine blew through a set in his truck in about 12,000 miles. The toyos are harder tire, should be good for 30-40,000 miles of normal use. That along justifies the different in price between the two.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to take it elsewhere to see if it's out of alignment since my father said the same thing. However, I'm currently looking at a 6" Fabtech suspension to put on there very very soon.

But yeah your right for some reason the links aren't working.. sorry about that. Anyways do you have the Toyo Open Country M/T's?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Check your wheel bearings... pitman and idler arms get the blame for alot of frontend issues on the H2. They are a weak point thats for sure!!.
i would recommend idler and pitman supports but dont forget your bearings. If your bearings are shot your wheel is moving in any direction it wishes at speed. you probably dont notice it because it gets worse over time and its not alot of movement But trust me its plenty to eat your Tires FAST!!!!!. I have rebuilt the frontend of My H2 completely more then once. Check your bearings if they are bad I have directions to replace them just ask.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by HUMOBSTA
Anyways do you have the Toyo Open Country M/T's?
Yep, love'em.

Name:  DSC04067.jpg
Views: 1779
Size:  222.9 KB

Old 10-06-2009, 02:54 PM

hey bflorin

how did you paint the bumpers. My dealer does not manage to paint it keeps comming off

Old 10-07-2009, 07:25 AM

Every time I have heard of this problem it is usually the alignment. Since it is just your two front tires it is your front end alignment. Thanks for sharing the great pics taken with your phone.