PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tires screeching on full turns?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Default Tires screeching on full turns?

Hi,
I bought my bright red H3 a few months ago and am extremely happy with my purchase and the vehicle It's an 06 adventure edition and I did my homework and made sure my VIN wasn't in the affected range for the dreaded valve seat issues, bought her with 80k miles and she's almost at 91k now.

I just noticed the other day that when I turn the wheel completely to the left or right to let's say make a u-turn the front tires make a slight to moderate squeeling sound, almost as if they're grabbing the pavement a little too much. The thing is that I can't remember it ever doing it before a few days ago and I've had her for about 5 months. I was just wondering if this is normal, as I usually baby my vehicles and perform all the required and optional maintenance.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the tires? I'm still running stock Michellin highway tires (those are the ones they sold me the car with and they were brand new when I bought it), my next planned upgrade is changing to 315 M/T's

Other than that she runs like a champ, I run mobile 1 synthetic with Lucas, changed spk plugs, cleaned TB and MAF, changed filter to K&N and added a Jet stage 1 (PCM coming later).

Last edited by force0009; 02-03-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM

It sounds like you may be in 4HI Lock. Make sure the transfer case switches above the radio are set to 4HI (first position to the left).

If they are already set that way you may have an issue the the shift fork (2006 was plastic later chanel to aluminum). It may also be the encoder motor (the thingy that changes the t-case between modes).

Try switching to 4LO then back to 4HI lock then back to 4HI.

Last edited by TAINTER; 02-01-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 PM

Thanks I'll look to see if that works, I also heard that putting it in reverse helps switch back to 4 Hi.

Also does anybody know where I can find a metal shift fork? and is it a difficult job to DIY? I know how to do all the basics but am by no means a master mechanic.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 PM

also depends on the type of ground you're turning on. asphalt or smooth concrete will almost always squeal, especially in a full time four wheel drive. even a rear wheel drive car will squeal at full lock, at that point you are causing the rubber to slide at a severe angle and scuff across the pavement.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Default The above cannot be accurate

The noise in a McDonalds drive through would be unbearable on a dry day. Open differentials prevent this. It happens in lock mode.
Even a 12 in wide tire scuffing on a tight turn doesn't squeal.

Changing the fork is doable but a major teardown,big job.

Last edited by happythree; 02-01-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 AM

I find my H3 makes a bit of a squeal when I make a full deflection U turn in the parking garage. This happens every morning unless the concrete is wet. If I just ease up a very small amount on the sharpness of the turn the sound goes away. I also know I am not in Hi-lock. I think it's just the way of our 4WD system and not really an issue.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 AM

Nothing to worry about and perfectly normal.

The h3 has a very tight turning circle and on asphalt and smooth concrete always squeals the tyres, mine has done it since brand new (07 model) and still does it, and I also know it is not in 4HI lock

Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM

I had some squealing too for a little while. Turns out my alignment was out of wack from wheeling. Everytime I went to park in a garage complex, it would squeal like you said, going around smooth concrete corners. Got an alignment, problem solved.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 PM

Alignment on my H3 is spot on and it still squeals, always has done since brand new.

I am sure it has something to do with the fact that it is constant all wheel drive, I would hazard a guess that if it does not squeal you have some issues with your constant four wheel drive system getting worn and sloppy.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Guess my '09 3 has been worn and sloppy since 14 miles brand new then.

Quick Reply: Tires screeching on full turns?