PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Which tires???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 PM

Can somebody mention the number of plies in the side wall?
I would give up some highway noise for a toughter tire on the trail, after all we are talking Hummers here not Cadallics.

Is Hankook a Chinese made tire? If so, I would never buy that crap. Everything I owned that was made in China broke soon after buying it, everything from my Eddie Bauer made in China shoes were the sole peeled off, my electric heater, Eddie Bauer down jacket where the zipper broke (no fun at zero degrees),my paper towel rack, my DVD player, answering machine, copier, and it serves me right for not buying AMERICAN. I now refuse to buy from any country that has missles aimed as us.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:34 AM

Well after some of the feedback here, I will go ahead and confirm my first instinct, which was either the Mickey Thompsons or the Toyos. I still have not decided which, but I liked those 2 more than the others quite a bit from the start. After hearing this, that is confirmed.

I pretty much included the Nittos because I heard they were good off road. I don't want them if they wear that fast though, and I also heard they are very noisy.

So now, we are down to 1.) Mickey Thompson Baja Mtz. 2.) Toyo Open Country MT. I would still love to hear everyone's opinions and reasons for why! Thanks!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skeeet
Is Hankook a Chinese made tire?

NO, it is based in Seoul, South Korea. It stared life as Chosun Tire in 1941 and was renamed Hankook in 1948.

Unlike other foreign based tire companies that do produce some tires in the USA, Hankook does not produce a single tire in the USA.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
The keys to longitivity with any MT is alignment, proper inflation and regular rotations. We are on our 3rd set of MT Baja MTZs on 4 different H3/H3Ts and they have been averging 50-65K. I even sold my last set with 1/4 tread for $250 (4 tires) which helped purchase the new MTZs.
50-65K per set?? Really?

That's killer.. How much driving do they see on the roads?

I am going to be due for some new tires soon on our H3 and am looking at tires.. I do not get to off road our 3 much, but it does happen occasionally, so I'd like a tire that performs well off road, but I'd also like something that performs well on road..

Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Tram,

If you are onroad more than off you might like a Baja ATZ instead of the MTZ...

Old 07-25-2011, 12:50 PM

The mtz and toyos wear like iron if you take care of them properly. They are both comparable so I guess for me it would just come down to which was cheaper or like the look of better.
Since the shops here sell the toyos I went with them for the free lifetime balance, rotation and road hazard warranty. I stop by every month for ten minutes and let them rotate them, they hate me for that.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tram
50-65K per set?? Really?

That's killer.. How much driving do they see on the roads?

I am going to be due for some new tires soon on our H3 and am looking at tires.. I do not get to off road our 3 much, but it does happen occasionally, so I'd like a tire that performs well off road, but I'd also like something that performs well on road..
Daily driving on everyday highways and roads. Wheeling as often as I can. We are considering the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs for Mr. T next time since he does not see the hardcore wheeling like Mr. Blue does. ATZs are pretty great all around tires just not in the mud and dEEp snow.

Like I said, the key is to properly inflate them (depends on your mods and driving style), regular rotations ($10 each rotation, I'm a big fan of the back to front, and fronts crossed to the back on our HUMMERs) and Lifetime Alignment ($125). When you are talking about spending $1400 on 4 tires, all it takes is a little time and effort to protect yoru investment.

Last edited by TAINTER; 07-25-2011 at 06:14 PM.