PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tire & Wheel total weight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Default Tire & Wheel total weight?

Ok I have a 2006 Adventure H3

So my question is does any one know what a tire and rim weigh?

The reason I ask and I don't know if the combination exists for what I would like to do, but is it possible to get a larger and lighter wheel (maybe forged as to be lighter and stronger) maybe 19's- 22'ssomething in that range and put on a low-profile OFFROAD tires 34's or 35's and save weight?

And does anyone think the weight saving would be sufficient to have some performance gain and or at least not loose any for that matter?

My thinking is less rotational mass should make in a bit easier for the H3 to get up to speed and stay there for better performance. Any thoughts?

If I had the wheel and tire weight for our 33 setup I could figure out the rest of the numbers by getting them offline, but I was wondering what anyone else might have to say on the matter?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Default RE: Tire & Wheel total weight?

You could take one off and put it on your bathroom scale, then just keep your new tire/wheel combo at that weight or lighter.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:41 AM

I thought about doing that but I just had knee surgery and can't do it at the moment. That's why I posted the question ya know so I could fill some of the bordom of having to lay around. If no one knows that is what I will eventually do thanks.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: DOC4H

I thought about doing that but I just had knee surgery and can't do it at the moment. That's why I posted the question ya know so I could fill some of the bordom of having to lay around. If no one knows that is what I will eventually do thanks.
Doc,
Keep this in mind..as you move up to larger diameter wheels you move some of the mass father out from the center. That applies to the rim and the tire. This requires more horsepower and torque to turn the wheel. Yep, you lose HP & Torque.

You can compensate by redicing the profile of the tire to get it back to the same size as the original tire. There is a downside to that to. When you reduce the profile you shorten the sidewalls. If you think your Hummer rides a bit rough now, drop the profile down 2-3 sizes. You may be unhappy with the ride. Nothing is free. It's always a trade-off.

I have the OEM 18" rims and I plan to move up to 20" rims..but I know what to expect as I've done it before.

You married? Get the wife to weigh that tire or maybe a friend for a 6pack of Budweiser?