PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tire rotation and differential effect question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default Tire rotation and differential effect question

My tires are about half worn. I was going to use the new Spare in the back on the front, and out of the 4 old ones, take the one with the most tread and put it on the other front. So, I'd have a new one in the driver's side, the best of the 4 old ones on the pass. side, and the other two best in the rear.

My question is, is the difference in rotation on the wheels due to the new tire tread vs. the old from left to right side going to break or wear the front differential?

The ONLY reason I'm doing this is because I need as much traction as I can when we go off-roading and any addition grip I can get out of my stock tires I'm going to. I can't afford new tires right now.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Default RE: Tire rotation and differential effect question

No, don't worry about it. It's an open diferental.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

In the front,...true dat!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Guys

Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM

Yah...What they said :-) Open diffs suck but it's the best we can get right now until GM gets off their rumps and fixes the problem with the H3. I don't know why they will put lockers in the H3T and not the H3 but time will tell on that option. At least we know we can swap the H3T chunk out and have lockers for our rigs for those with unlimited incomes.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

I know I've asked this before in another thread, but I was always under the impression that when you switch to 4WD Locked mode, that all 4 wheels are locked into the same RPMs. So basically, it's just locking the front and rear differentials for 50/50 power distribution but the front differential is still considered open because of the amount of slippage it has?

And if you had a H3T and engaged the front and rear lockers and 4WD Locked, that means all 4 wheels will be turning exactly the same rpms all the time correct? that's why it's good, because lockers force both wheels to turn at the same time and give you equal left and ride side vehicle power?

Do I have this right (finally)?

Old 04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

And I apologize for the beating of the dead horse. I just want to make sure I know 100% what I'm talking about if anybody else asks.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I know I've asked this before in another thread, but I was always under the impression that when you switch to 4WD Locked mode, that all 4 wheels are locked into the same RPMs. So basically, it's just locking the front and rear differentials for 50/50 power distribution but the front differential is still considered open because of the amount of slippage it has?

And if you had a H3T and engaged the front and rear lockers and 4WD Locked, that means all 4 wheels will be turning exactly the same rpms all the time correct? that's why it's good, because lockers force both wheels to turn at the same time and give you equal left and ride side vehicle power?

Do I have this right (finally)?
You may have it?

The H3 has three differentials. One in the transfer case and one in each axle.
When the differential in he transfer case is locked, each drive shaft receives 50% of the power and will tun at the same speed irregardless of traction conditions.
If you have a locking rear differential, both rear tires will receive 50% of the power from the rear drive shaft and will tun at the same speed irregardless of traction.
When both differentials (central and rear) are locked you will have 25% of the engine power at each rear wheel and the other 50% at the front wheel with the least amount of traction (until the electronic traction control kicks in).

With all three differentials locked each wheelwould get25% of the power.

Clear as mud?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yup. I guess when I think locked, I think NO slippage rather then power distribution. What I should have said is with everything locked, all 4 wheels with equal power, there is in theory no slippage allowed in the differentials, correct? I guess I should have worded it better.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:02 PM

[sm=signs007.gif][sm=signs006.gif][sm=sigh.gif][sm=wtf.gif]

[sm=joke.gif]

Quick Reply: Tire rotation and differential effect question