PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

tire rotation..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Default tire rotation..?

have anybody rotate the tires yet...in what order ?? how many miles to rotate the tires ?

Old 08-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Default RE: tire rotation..?

I leave my Spare out of it...

I rotate all four every 6000 to 7000 miles..Starting with Front to back, Back to front, same side...Next time I'll X them and then back to the front to back again, etc.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:34 AM

just curious why not the spare ??

Old 08-07-2006, 03:04 AM

Check your manual, I rotated all five. And the TPM light will come on, so you have to reset it.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:59 AM

I only thought back to front for truck tires, car tires switch the left front with the right back cross them over

Old 08-07-2006, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: MyH3hummer

Because it has 6000 to 7000 less miles than the others and it will dominate the steering and ride..So leave it alone and always have a good spare with full life..Besides it helps with resale too ....But this is just me

As a note;; with modern radial ply tires, you can rotate anyway you want..unless you have those high dollar directional tires that come on Vettes.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:29 PM

Just did mine Saturday, rear to front, lf to rr, rf to lr. Left out the spare, I'll keep that new for when I trade in for new Hummer in 09

Old 08-08-2006, 09:37 PM

I've always been told that radials should only be swapped F to R because they take a directional "set" that will cause wear and handling problems if the rotation gets reversed. Swapping side-to-side is only OK for bias ply tires (Are they still made?). Seems to me thats the way tire shops do it. I'm also rotating the spare into use since its only going to deteriorate to uselessness hanging on the tailgate for years.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

ORIGINAL: MyH3hummer

Because it has 6000 to 7000 less miles than the others and it will dominate the steering and ride..So leave it alone and always have a good spare with full life..Besides it helps with resale too ....But this is just me

As a note;; with modern radial ply tires, you can rotate anyway you want..unless you have those high dollar directional tires that come on Vettes.

So what happens when you have a blowout, or a sidewall puncture at, say, 30,000 miles and the reamining tires are still good? Do you buy 4 new tire so they all have the same wear, or do you just put on the new one and deal with the strearing variation? Not all tire shops have the ability to grind off the rubber to match the existing tread wear on the other tires.

I try to rotate all 5 through using a cross pattern for the fronts to the rear, and the rears coming strait forward. The spare goes on the RR position, and the LF goes into the spare position.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:33 AM

Bias tires are still available, but for the most part, street bound vehicles will mostly have radials. If you look in the off road magazines, you will see bias tires that have very aggressive treads that are DOT legal, but they generally have no tread life on hard surfaces.

Quick Reply: tire rotation..?