PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Default Tire question

I have the H3 which has the stock P265 75 R16 Goodyear Wrangler tires on it. When my lease is up and if I don't trade in the truck, I am thinking of going to change the tires. I like the Goodyear Wrangler MTR tire because of the aggressive tread and the low road noise according to the reviews. Does Goodyear make a size that fits the stock rim? I never got the whole tires sizing thing, but on the tire rack site they have 265/75PR16 listed as a size, would that fit the stock wheel?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....rangler+MT%2FR

If not...what is a comparable tire with the aggressive pattern?

Thank you.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Default RE: Tire question

I know you're pretty new but after 54 posts I figured you might've found one of hundreds of similar threads on tires.

Anyway - just about any tire has a more aggressive tread than the stock Goodyear RT/S. 265/75-16 is a common size, as is 285/75-16 that are on the Adventure series models. Do you want aggressive looks for looks or for offroad? Do you mind tire noise? There's so much from which to choose. I like Discount Tire (tires.com) but they don't carry everything in every size. Do a search for tires in the H3 forum and you'll see thousands of posts and hundreds of pics.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:45 PM

I agree with alrock "Discount tires" they also have lifetime free tire rotation.
Try this link:
http://www.discounttire.com

Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: alrock

I know you're pretty new but after 54 posts I figured you might've found one of hundreds of similar threads on tires.

Anyway - just about any tire has a more aggressive tread than the stock Goodyear RT/S. 265/75-16 is a common size, as is 285/75-16 that are on the Adventure series models. Do you want aggressive looks for looks or for offroad? Do you mind tire noise? There's so much from which to choose. I like Discount Tire (tires.com) but they don't carry everything in every size. Do a search for tires in the H3 forum and you'll see thousands of posts and hundreds of pics.
I did find similar threads, however no one mentioned the Goodyear Wrangler MTR size, but maybe I didn't do enough searching...

Thanks...I will call up tires.com and see what they say as well as tirerack.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:13 PM

i just orderd from discount tires and waiting for them to call and say my new rubber is in , i run a 275/60/20 goodyear tire and i decided to stay with the same size but went with the- nitto tera grappler. i cant wait to get them on my hummer schould be by this weekend.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4035/5299E45D1F694D1C8EFF01C2F5EF36D0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 PM

ORIGINAL: White08H3

I did find similar threads, however no one mentioned the Goodyear Wrangler MTR size, but maybe I didn't do enough searching...

I don't think many people go with the Goodyear MTRs, I see more people ending up with the BFG MTRs. Basically any brand will fit with the right size as the sizes are standardized (with minor variations). It's about personal preferences after that. A 34" waist is a 34" waist - just depends if you want Levi's, Lees, Wranglers or $250 super designer jeans.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM

I did find similar threads, however no one mentioned the Goodyear Wrangler MTR
Cause they suck.

First thing, get at least a 285 (33") tire. The 265's look weak on the H3, IMO. The dealer can update the PCM to fix the speedo.

Also, if you aren't offroading there's really no need for an MT tire, unless you just want the look. Get an aggressive looking AT tire. They will wear better, handle better, are usually cheaper, and you'll save on gas money.

If you want an MT, the three best IMO as far as on/offroad manners are the Toyo Open Country, BFG KM2, and ProComp MT.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Sewie

I did find similar threads, however no one mentioned the Goodyear Wrangler MTR
Cause they suck.

First thing, get at least a 285 (33") tire. The 265's look weak on the H3, IMO. The dealer can update the PCM to fix the speedo.

Also, if you aren't offroading there's really no need for an MT tire, unless you just want the look. Get an aggressive looking AT tire. They will wear better, handle better, are usually cheaper, and you'll save on gas money.

If you want an MT, the three best IMO as far as on/offroad manners are the Toyo Open Country, BFG KM2, and ProComp MT.
I did notice people complained about the sidewalls and how weak they can be on the Goodyears, also they suck in snow apparently. I was interested in the BFG All Terrain T/A KO 33" http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...3014&ar=75

But they have a lot of poor recent reviews. I keep going back and forth on the MT and AT for look and handling. I do need a tire that can handle the snow though because that is probably the most stuff I will go through along with the occasional off roading.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:49 PM

I don't think many people go with the Goodyear MTRs, I see more people ending up with the BFG MTRs. Basically any brand will fit with the right size as the sizes are standardized (with minor variations). It's about personal preferences after that. A 34" waist is a 34" waist - just depends if you want Levi's, Lees, Wranglers or $250 super designer jeans.
Well I found myself curious by them because I saw them on the Military Humvees and started to look them up online.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 PM

Just a guess but it looks like the Goodyear MTR has no or very littlesiping. That is the little cuts in the larger tread. That is what gives it a good ice/snow handling ability as it allows better contouring at the street level. Not quite as good on a rock/crawling level. Basically it makes the MTR more like a MT with a shallower tread.

Quick Reply: Tire question