PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tire Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Default Tire Jacks

What is the easiest way to determine the proper Tire Jack (Heightwise & Weightwise), for an H3 with a 4" Rancho Lift, and 35x12.5x18LT ProComp Tires. I do not believe the OEM Jack that came withmyHummerwilllift high enough with the stability one would want. I am not at all a fan of the scissor jack! I actually snapped two brand new, never been used scissor jacks while on a Summer vacation once. Of course two flat tires on one trip didn't help matters. And there's nothing like being in an unpopulated area of Illinois with a scissor jack that snaps on first use, after the lug nuts were already removed no less& 18 wheelers whizzing by on the Interstate in the adjacent lane to me.[:'(]

David

Old 04-19-2007, 05:21 AM
Default RE: Tire Jacks

Measure from the groundto the lift point, and then calculate how much lift, beyond that, will be needed to get the tire off the ground (it will be different for different suspenions IE: torsion bars turned etc). An old off road trick, for rigs with long travel suspension, is to carry a short section of chain to wrap around the axle and frame. This will limit the any of thedroop in the suspension, and let the tire lift from the ground sooner. This will require less lifting heigth, be more stable, and will allow you to use a shorter jack than would otherwise be needed. Asfor weight, more is better, and overkill is often a good thing, and whatI generally do. Think you might need a 2 ton, get a 3 ton instead... lol.

Unless you have aftermarket bumpers, I wouldn't suggest a hi-lift jack. they're great and all, but there really isn't any good spot on the H3 to lift with it. Bottle jacks can be nice.. but usually don't fitOE spaces well. But, if you have the place to store in onboard, then that's an option.

I have to use a chain just to get the rear tires of my daily driver off the ground (97 K1500 w/ 4" lift). My 48" hi-lift won't get them off... I've had the jack all the way up to the last click, and the rear tire still firmly planted. The fronts will go with the jack alone. For my trail rig I carry a 63" hi-lift, and chain.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:32 AM

I carry a couple of 4"x 6" x 8" boards- they help on sand too.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:43 PM

blocks will do till you find the right size jack.Figure in the amount of lift plus the tire size increase.

You are on the right track to figure it out in your driveway rather than on the side of the freeway

You can also look ( in a junk yard please) for a Toyota Truck 4x4 screw type bottle jack. besure to get the handle and extension.

They are pretty strong and fast to operate.Or find a hydraulic jack the size you need.

I agree that the highlift isn't the jack to use for changing tires.