PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

IS TIRE DEFLATION COMMON DUE TO CTIS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Default IS TIRE DEFLATION COMMON DUE TO CTIS???

Hey guys/Girls

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced small tire deflation and if this is common issue for H1's with CTIS.
I have a 2003 with 2 pcs 17 inch wheels .
I usually have the PSI around 32 but f I leave it for a coupe of daysand don't drive i at all It might go down to 25-28lbs is this normal??
I just had all the valves replaced aswell as the seals on my wheels by the dealer.
Anyhelp would be appreciated!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Default RE: IS TIRE DEFLATION COMMON DUE TO CTIS???

Yes due to all the various pieces in CTIS its bound to catch a leak somewhere in the system every now and then. Especially in the winter and I dump my rig into some icy water I usually end up having to replace a Spindle seal in the hub(they dont like icy waters I guess) also heard that the military ones are better and can be gotten from kascar.
5lbs of pressure loss in a couple of days isnt bad id just suggest living with it till warmer weather comes then go over the whole system with soapy water... I recently did this and found that my slow leak similar to yours was coming from the swivle T where it goes to the pressure gauge... bought a new one for like 13$ USD and going to replace it once the weather is nice.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:06 PM

according to Dave Breggin's cd, less than 2 lbs loss/night is considered "normal." A mechanic said once that losing 7 to 10 lbs a week is ok...knock on wood I've never lost that much (I'm sure my truck is reading this and will make me pay).

Old 02-19-2008, 11:41 PM

Dave is a good guy but I disagree that it is normal. Although it is nothing to worry about in my opinion. I was loosing 2-3lbs a night in my rear tires and still am although I wasnt too worried about it I traced the problem to the T swivle as stated in my last post but I was really looking for my 5-10lb an hour leak that was traced to a spindle seal. But before I dunked the truck in some ice the fronts held air, did not leak at all(well not that was noticable on the guage). So yes it is possible to go over your system and get it so no leaks are there, but due to all the components and areas where it can leak sometimes you might get one. Its you decision whether or not to live with it or hunt for the leak. There is a good post on flashoffroad that gives tips on how to find leaks a bit quicker.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

You still have a leak somewhere. Just because the work was done doesn't mean it was perfect. I had my CTIS redone and it leaked and they had to rework one line. My 97 might lose a pound a week. My 06 might lose a pound a month.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 AM

Common? Yes... "Normal?" -- depends on who you talk to. Are you leaking air somewhere? Probably.

If you have quick disconnects at each wheel, you can disconnect them overnight - if you lose air in only one tire, that is where your leak is. If you lose air in the hoses but not out at any wheel, your leak is in the air lines/connections somewhere.

Fluctuations in pressure just from "heating up" when driving on the road are common as well - expect the pressure to drop a couple of psi when the air in the system cools after you have been on the highway for a while.
Losing 5-7 psi over a couple of days is considered "normal" by the manufacturer (and dealerships) because it is a pain to locate a very slow leak and repair it -- but when the system is sealed probably, that pressure won't budge more than a couple of psi even if you let it sit for 2 weeks.

ORIGINAL: YTH1

Hey guys/Girls

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced small tire deflation and if this is common issue for H1's with CTIS.
I have a 2003 with 2 pcs 17 inch wheels .
I usually have the PSI around 32 but f I leave it for a coupe of days and don't drive i at all It might go down to 25-28lbs is this normal??
I just had all the valves replaced aswell as the seals on my wheels by the dealer.
Anyhelp would be appreciated!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:36 PM

I'm glad mine's not "normal." I know alot of guys with trucks that are "normal."

Old 02-21-2008, 06:46 PM

I just had some alignment work done at my dealer and now my front is losing about 5 pounds of pressure every 24 hours. I've gone from roughly 37lbs to 27lbs in roughly two days. The rear has lost zero. I am curious to see if the leak continues or stops. (It may be important to note that the temperature in WI has been way below zero quite a bit the past 48 hours.)
I am afraid I will be taking it back to find and fix the leak. . But maybe with a warm up the leak will stop..... We will see.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with you Ron. YT, if you want to sell those defective leaking wheels let me know. LOL