PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tire changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

Ya i travel a lot in my H3 also, and am really debating between 33's and 35's. I know for a fact that 33" tires with nasty tread would take my H3 anywhere. But I also know that some 35's with nasty tread would make my HUMMER climb to the friggen moon if I wanted without being stuck.

I've heard from a few people that duratrac 35's didnt' hit their mileage at ALL when tire-size is compensated for; they claim they get the same exact mileage on the highway as w/ stock tires.

So I'm torn. 33's or 35's lol. I know either way I'd go anywhere.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nick119
Guys I appreciate your responses, but I was asking for help choosing a tire not for people to comment on the way I use my truck.

MarkSteven - You're truck looks amazing dude. These are the ones: http://www.treadepot.com/review/wdtr.html ?
Nick119, I would check out some of the All Terrain type tires in either a 285/75R16 (10.5x33x16) or a 305/70R16 (12.5x33x16). Both will fit on your stock rims. There are many great AT ties on the market. The ATs will perform well in the sand and give you a nice road ride.

Don't worry about the dumb **** (85_305)! The name of this forum is "HUMMER Forums - The HUMMER Enthusiasts Forum". OffRoaders, Blingers, Daily Drivers, Etc are all welcome here! If you are an "enthusiast" of the HUMMER as you seem to be, I WELCOME You!!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

Not too "enthusiastic" about his HUMMER if he puts on stock tires and only wants to be able to attend a local beach, if you ask me.
But the stock Wranglers are GREAT in sand and all-terrains. Why would he go for a 1500$ set of 35's if all he does is mall-crawl? A new set of oem Wranglers would be like 800$.

Last edited by 85_305; 08-22-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
Ya i travel a lot in my H3 also, and am really debating between 33's and 35's. I know for a fact that 33" tires with nasty tread would take my H3 anywhere. But I also know that some 35's with nasty tread would make my HUMMER climb to the friggen moon if I wanted without being stuck.

I've heard from a few people that duratrac 35's didnt' hit their mileage at ALL when tire-size is compensated for; they claim they get the same exact mileage on the highway as w/ stock tires.

So I'm torn. 33's or 35's lol. I know either way I'd go anywhere.
Ive heard the same too. the 315 Duratrac is a Large heavy tire with considerable more weight and rolling mass. Fuel milage will be compromised. your right, with a set of 33 duratracs or others you will be able to wheel with the best of them. if someone in my local area had a set of 33" duratracs of the same condition and wanted to trade, i would do it.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

So you have no doubts that with 33's you'd be able to go the same places as 35's? I realllly want the 35's because they look bada$$, and because they make the truck sit much higher. Though, 33's will also set up the height of the truck.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nick119
Guys I appreciate your responses, but I was asking for help choosing a tire not for people to comment on the way I use my truck.
the way you'll be using your truck and where you'll be taking it will determine what tires you should get

refer to my previous post:

Originally Posted by Manson75
TS, if an occasional trip to the beach is all you're planning for, I'd just stick to a light truck tire like what you currently have or a mild all terrain. No reason getting a more aggressive set of tires that will cost you hundreds more. But if looks mean enough for the extra price tag to ya, then do whatever makes you happy.
the H3's 4 wheel drive does very well in sand, so an aggressive tire is not needed. But like I said, if part of your decision making process is appearance, determine how much appearance is worth to you. Like a previous guy said you can get all 5 replaced for between $700 and $800. But a good looking set of tires will cost you around $1000. From hearing from others, stay away from the cheap foreign tires.

http://www.treadepot.com/ has some pretty good prices. To save even more shop around locally for places that will match online prices so you can save on shipping. And quite often dealership or tire store will have "buy 3 get 1 free sales."

Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM

I have a set of 285 BFG TA KO tires and can't complain. they are great on the street with really light hum on the interstate. i do very little off roading so i didnt need an M/T. I do tow a boat occasionally which is why i didnt go with 315's. The BFG's cost a little bit more but they are worth it IMO. I was very impressed after swithing from the stock 265's to these, i did lose a little mileage but i leveled the truck and went up 2 inches in tire size. They look nice and ride nice and thats all i needed. Maybe one day i will test them in the mud.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:11 PM

There are a lot better tires out there than the stock RT/S for less money. Don't get me wrong, the RT/S is a good tire. But it seems like most tires on these things last really well when they are maintained. But a size would help to determine what will work best. Duratracs are awesome and Goodyear has a special coming up soon. Keep an eye on the ads.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 PM

I went with 305-70/16 Wrangler MT/R's. Same height as the OEM's if you have the Off-Road package, but the 1" extra width and aggressive tread makes the H3 look like a whole new beast.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 PM

If your not into off roading and aren't buying tires for looks then you should just stick with the stock size and maybe a little better tire. There are many good AT tires out there. If your going to get an MT tire then you will get more noise, less mileage and they do not wear as well as an AT, but they will go places an AT cannot.

Another option is that there are plenty of near new take off sets on ebay or clist for 4-700 and you can always sell your stockers to make some of it back. Any number of us love having an extra set or two of wheels. I have 3 sets in my shop.

Pesky rocks just seem to jump out at you sometimes.

Quick Reply: Tire changes