PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tie Rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Default Tie Rod

Went on my first off road adventure recently and came back with a bent tie rod. I had it fixed, but now I'm wondering if I should up grade to some heavy duty tie rods. At first I thought maybe I came down on a rock with the tie rod, but now I am thinking it bent from stress.

Are most of you upgrading to a more heavy duty tie rod or are you just bringing extras with you when going off road?

Where are you buying heavy duty tie rods (I have a 2007 H3)?

Thanks

Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Default RE: Tie Rod

Smitty, with my H3 I just carry spare tie rods. With my H2 I replaced OEM with FabTech. Bent an OEM H2 tierod before the Fabtechs but have not had any problems with the H3.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 PM

You can either add the Stainless steel sleeves from Super Diesel Performance or Fabtech replacements. The fabtechs are the best.

Here is SDP sleeves: https://ssl.perfora.net/www.superdie...dex.shopscript

However, most of the H2 tie rod problems are not because of them being skinny, but because of the flex allowed in the IFS drivetrain design. There is too mcuh movement in the pitman & idler arms causing the tie rods to go into severe angles when off road. To provethe point, jack only one wheel off the ground and then grab the tire/wheel and push it from side to side as if try to make the steering wheel turn. By doing this, you can see how easily the tie rod and steering/center link cause the tie rod to move into a bad angle and cause issues.

To correct this bad design, You really should add the Cognito Pitman/Idler kit: http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page18.html

It's very easy to install

I think I probably would have been fine with just the Cognito kit, but like the extrapeace of mindof the kitalong with the fabtech tie rods. Another good combination would be the Cognito kit and the SDP sleeves as this would add strength to the tie rods and prevent the severe angles as well asa decent price to achieve both.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:40 PM

Oh, forget to mention the Cognito kit will make your steering feel soooo much better as it gets rid of all the slop/flex up front in the steering wheel. This kit will also save your pitman/idler arms from wearing out, if they are not shot already.

Hint: They will wear out quickly without this kit!

Very good Mod!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM

Tomp,

Thanks for the reply, but I have an 2007 H3. No pitman and idler arms, they use rack and pinion.I'm not sure ifFabtech makes a HD tie rod for an H3, will the H2 Fabtech tie rods work on an H3?

I havent read much about the sleeves. I need to look into these.

Thanks

Old 10-03-2007, 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: bsmitty

Tomp,

Thanks for the reply, but I have an 2007 H3. No pitman and idler arms, they use rack and pinion.I'm not sure ifFabtech makes a HD tie rod for an H3, will the H2 Fabtech tie rods work on an H3?

Thanks
Crap, you mean I typed all that for nothing? LOL...oh well-maybe someone else with an H2 will benefit from it

Old 10-04-2007, 05:56 AM

ORIGINAL: tomp

ORIGINAL: bsmitty

Tomp,

Thanks
Crap, you mean I typed all that for nothing? LOL...oh well-maybe someone else with an H2 will benefit from it
im sure somebody will use that info

Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 AM

TOMP, HOW LONG BEFORE PITMAN AND IDLER GET WORN? I HAVE THE FABTEC TIE RODS, 06 H2 11,000 MILES....THANKS ANDY[&:][&:]

Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: CAMARO

TOMP, HOW LONG BEFORE PITMAN AND IDLER GET WORN? I HAVE THE FABTEC TIE RODS, 06 H2 11,000 MILES....THANKS ANDY[&:][&:]
that will depend on how you use it. i'm on my second steering box, 5th pitman arm, 3rd idler and second set of fabtech tie rods at 76k miles. slightly oversized tires and frequent offroad use will wear them faster than trips to the mall on a stock setup.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:03 PM

WOW THATS A LOT OF REPAIRS, I DO TAKE IF OFF ROAD BUT NOT LIKE I HAVE SEEN IN PICS. YOU GUYS ARE GOOD AND WAY MORE GUTS THEN ME.. STILL LOVE MY H2...ANDY

Quick Reply: Tie Rod