PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Is there no relay for the turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Default Is there no relay for the turn signal?

Where can I find the relay for the turn signal? If there is none, where can I find a wire that tells my car to light the turn signal. The special thing is, that the voltage must not be alternating...

Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Default RE: Is there no relay for the turn signal?

I'm not sure if this helps or not but the BCM for the H3's turn signal is under the passenger kick panel.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 AM

yea, the bcm controls teh turn signals...best bet to finda wire is to tap inot the wire at the turn signal light itself and work your way back. I have no clue what wire it is at the bcm.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: General

The special thing is, that the voltage must not be alternating...
You'll need to catch it between the switch and the BCM. What are you needing it for?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 PM

I didn't see that part of his post....my bad general. if it's anything like the rest of the bcm system the signal switch is going to give you a negative signal so it won't help you at all. I know for the door jam switch it's all a negative pulse system that sucks. In order to get a + lead for when the doors are open I had to actually go to the dome light lead in the headliner and fish a wire all the way down....PITA!!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 PM

This will require some logic circuits on your part but i'm sure what ever you are trying to do can be done.

Turn Signal Lamps
The FRT/TRN/HAZ/CRTSY/MIRR and REAR/TRN/HAZ fuses in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the body control module (BCM). When the turn signal switch is placed in either the left or right position, a signal is sent to the BCM to illuminate the desired turn signal lamps. The BCM has an internal flasher that sends an ON-OFF voltage signal to either the left or right turn signals and their instrument panel cluster (IPC) indicator. When the hazard switch is pressed, a separate ground signal is sent to the BCM to activate and flash all turn signal lamps including both IPC turn indicators. The front and rear turn signals are grounded at G105, G350 and G340. The sound for the turn signal indicators is produced by the IPC.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4217/581D36FDC3A84C54BD8D0ADFA671AB1C.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 PM

NICE diagram of the BCM and flasher circiut Rico, you're going to be a pretty handy guy to have around when the Gremlins inhabit my H3 somewhere! I think we blew General's mind though. He was looking for an old timey turn signal flasher and we filled him full of 21st Century electronic mumbo jumbo which all vehicles now days are made of. That's why I love my 79 CJ-5, there's beauty in simplicity!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:06 AM

What I try to do is the following...
In the US the yellow lights in the front of your trucks is steady on except while the turning signal goes. In my european version there is only the turning signal in, while not turning the bulb is switched steady off. Because I like the american way I try to figure out a way to have them on while driving. I love the look if I watch your great offroad vids...
My thought was to put an additional powered wire on the bulbs an interrupt it by a relay if the signal switch is operated.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 AM

So, you basically want the current version of H3's "daylight driving lights"?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:42 AM

Not all of the H3's have amber DRL's in the turn signals. My 07 has the headlights as it's DRL's and the 08's seem to have the same. 2006 was the last year of the parking lights being on as DRL's. So what you need is a way to wire your turn signal lampsto be ON all the time and to be switched OFF/ON when signaling a turn.

Quick Reply: Is there no relay for the turn signal?