PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Temp question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by amrg
If you have the 195 tstat, thats the temp it starts to open at (should be fully open at 205*) so you shouldnt expect any temps lower than that (after your truck is warmed up offcourse). At idle your airflow is at a minimum so its normal for the temps to creap up esp with a/c putting hot air infront of the radiator.
A front electric fan can help alot at idle if you dont like it going up. But dont expect it to go below 195*.
For comparison, LS engines stock fans turn on at 225* low speed and 235* high speed. Its all about emissions
Maybe I'm just too used to seeing the stock t-stat that ran much cooler . New fan clutch did knock it down some, just never had the movement on the original, but it makes sense . If it was keeping that much cooler, I would not see it.

Which efan do you recommend? I see a few options. Also see it's worth doing the external trans cooler. Plans are to keep her until she dies. With 130k, it's time for some extra care .Lol.

Thanks for the info. I think your right. It's me....

Old 04-27-2018, 04:08 PM

Get a 16" spal pusher fan and get the LL (long life) version. Spal makes fans for GM so you won't get wrong. They also are the only manufacturer that puts out real test data for their fans and don't inflate them.
A seperate trans cooler (bypass oem rad) is a good option as the stock rad sometimes fails internally and mixes oil with coolant. If you live in a cold climate, you will need a bypass in order to get trans to operating temps