PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

TC & Differential Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Look, Peggy stopped by. Isn't that special.

The principle benefit of going to your GM dealership is so they can fleece your wallet whilst doing simple service a trained monkey could perform.

Like the old saying: Shipping is complicated, changing fluids.... not.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 PM

I agree with everyone, including Doc in regard to Peggy/Trisch or whatever name she is going under this week.

Only fluid I would have done by a dealer is the auto trans and that is because a power flush is better than a drain via the pan. And I had mine done for about 150 bucks a few weeks ago. They also did the engine oil too, but heck that was free from GM via that Hummer free maintenance card they sent me.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by GMCustomerService
There are many benefits to taking a vehicle to your local dealership

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
NowTHAT is funny.

I guess if one is unable to perform these simple functions, AND there is no other mechanic within 100 miles,

then Tricia/Peggy is correct.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:24 PM

f5fstop, I have been told by people whose opinion I respect that the trans flush causes more problems than it will ever prevent. Not my personal technical knowledge but coming from folks who spend a lot of time turning wrenches and say not only no, but hell no to power flushing the trannie.

Tricia, there is no way on God's green earth that you can convince me of ANY value in having the dealership do a simple drain & fill on a diff for $150 per. Despite never having done the job, I did both diff's in about 1 1/2 hours with a cost of about $60 for high end synthetics. Only caveat to doing it yourself is that it will stink up your garage something serious when (not if) you spill even a tiny bit.

One note to Doc Olds' excellent description of a diff service. Always make sure you can loosen the fill plug BEFORE you drain the fluid. Really embarrassing to discover you have an empty diff and you can't get the fill plug out.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by bflank
One note to Doc Olds' excellent description of a diff service. Always make sure you can loosen the fill plug BEFORE you drain the fluid. Really embarrassing to discover you have an empty diff and you can't get the fill plug out.
All great answers here except for PEGGY! Waste of $!

Hey bflank, is that from personal exp???

Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 PM

Thanks guys for all the information :-D Sorry for putting it in the wrong place (my gf always get mad at me too :-P j/k) and I did get to check out that video - it was very helpful. I had never done either process before and just wanted to play it safe.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by maxxx486
I am in the process of getting my transfer case & differential maintenance on my 07 H3 (Adv Pkg) and wanted to ask what is the average cost for this services runs? Would you recommend a dealer or a regular oil place be fine? Is there anything specific I need to keep an eye out for? (special oil or part replacement) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way - I love this forum
To answer your question....my dealer quoted me $500-$600 to drain my trans & front - rear diffs and install fresh fluids and filter!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:44 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by maxxx486
Thanks guys for all the information :-D Sorry for putting it in the wrong place (my gf always get mad at me too :-P j/k)
I can't imagine why she would get get mad at you for putting it in the wrong place... But keep trying anyway!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Hey bflank, is that from personal exp???
No - although I understand why you would ask that question.

Surprisingly enough I got that tip from someone else's diff change notes. Perhaps they larned it the hard way.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

ok someone,,out with it,,,whats the problem??!!
i can guess but id like to know actual experience

Quick Reply: TC & Differential Maintenance Questions