PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

TC & Differential Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Question TC & Differential Maintenance Questions

I am in the process of getting my transfer case & differential maintenance on my 07 H3 (Adv Pkg) and wanted to ask what is the average cost for this services runs? Would you recommend a dealer or a regular oil place be fine? Is there anything specific I need to keep an eye out for? (special oil or part replacement) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way - I love this forum

Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM

You can change all three for less than $100 using the best premium synthetic fluids if you do it yourself.

The dealer... I expect you'll get out for about $600 if you want synthetic. Last time I got one of those post cards in the mail the rear diff was $145 F&F.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Do it yourself, it is one of the easiest things you can do on your rig. Plus, it saves you cash and you learn something in the process.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

You missed the mark on what an FAQ is so your thread has been moved. It's a good question, just wrong place to put it. See: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...section-19461/

It could be made into an FAQ with pics and a step by step how to instructional.

BTW I would be very careful with the local kids at the quicky change joint because they have been know to screw up the simple skid plate removal and re-install by loosing or stripping mounting bolts. If they can't handle the skid plate process, makes me wonder what else they can mess up?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Get on Youtube and look up some of Matters8 "Living with H3" videos. He has a very good video of changing the differential oil, transfer case and transmission fluid and filter. It is titled Hummer Off Road 4x4 50,000 Service.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 08-05-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned

Your search - Matters8 "Living with H3" youtube - did not find any results.

?? i tried

Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Both Diffs have drain plugs, so the synthetic diff lube can easily be drained and then refilled.

First remove the drain plug using a 3/8" drive socket wrench w/ short extension. While that is draining into a pan, remover the fill plug. Let them drain a good long while, and wipe off the drain plug. I also like to squirt in some clean gear lube when drained to sort of wash out any last residue, then put the drain plug back in. You do not need to use lock tight or teflon tape, I have never had the drain plug leak after snugged in place.

Then fill with synthetic 75W-90 up to the level of the fill plug, put the fill plug back in and snug.

The front spec capacity is 1.5 Qts (1.45L), rear is 2.1 Qts (2.0L) so to do both you will need to buy 4 Qts, and have some left over even if you do squirt in a bit for the wash out like described above.

I used Mobil One synthetic as it was on sale cheaper than the other brands.

There is another thread on T Case procedure.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
Get on Youtube and look up some of Matters8 "Living with H3" videos. He has a very good video of changing the differential oil, transfer case and transmission fluid and filter. It is titled Hummer Off Road 4x4 50,000 Service.
‪matters8's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

At a 3rd grade level too.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by maxxx486
I am in the process of getting my transfer case & differential maintenance on my 07 H3 (Adv Pkg) and wanted to ask what is the average cost for this services runs? Would you recommend a dealer or a regular oil place be fine? Is there anything specific I need to keep an eye out for? (special oil or part replacement) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way - I love this forum
There are many benefits to taking a vehicle to your local dealership. You can guarantee that technicians are certified and that the parts come with a GM parts warranty. For these reasons, I would recommend taking the vehicle to your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and also provide you with an estimate. You can also call around to other dealers in the area for a price comparison. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned

trish,than goodness ure bak,we struggle without u, xxxx xxxx ,xxx xxxx

Quick Reply: TC & Differential Maintenance Questions