PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

TB cleaning Big difference!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Default TB cleaning Big difference!

07 H3 48k miles, RPM's were diving at stop lights, asked dealer and they said $150 they'ed clean the throttle body, well I declined and cleaned it, the mass air flow sensor and replaced filter myself and it did correct the issue and seems to have made a difference in initial throttle response. With only 48k miles I was surprised at how dirty the throttle body was. Guess the purpose of this post is if you haven't cleaned your throttle body, has others on here have said, you need to do it. Cheap and easy preventative maintenance that makes a difference.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:44 PM

I agree 100%. I did this on our H3T I5 with only 30K on it and it made a huge difference in idle and low end throttle response.

Just a note: Do NOT touch the actual MAF with your fingers and only use a MAF cleaner on it! I've had to replace one because I didn't follow this advice. Expensive lesson to learn the hard way.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:09 PM

can someone help me getting instructions on how to clean the throttle body, im sure mine is way dirty and im a DIY type of guy, and im dont feel like taking it to the GM shop and getting drained by there prices..... any help would be much appreciated

Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned

and, id love to see pics

Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 AM

In these days, why can't we just call it a carburetor?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaker73
07 H3 48k miles, RPM's were diving at stop lights, asked dealer and they said $150 they'ed clean the throttle body, well I declined and cleaned it, the mass air flow sensor and replaced filter myself and it did correct the issue and seems to have made a difference in initial throttle response. With only 48k miles I was surprised at how dirty the throttle body was. Guess the purpose of this post is if you haven't cleaned your throttle body, has others on here have said, you need to do it. Cheap and easy preventative maintenance that makes a difference.
Working on the same issues myself. Changed the plugs, AF and cleaned the MAF Saturday, marked improvements. Throttle body is next I guess but to me didn't look that bad.
What about yours made you say it was dirty?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 PM

My '08 has mostly highway use in it's 43,000 miles. I haven't noticed any problems, yet.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 PM

It was pretty simple to clean, just need flat head screwdriver and I think 10mm socket, disconnected battery, removed hoses, then removed box just in front of throttle body, then disconnected hose on throttle body, removed four screws holding throttle body on, laid a towel underneath and went to spraying with cleaner, used rag and hand to remove thin film and some build up especially around plate. It was a little tedious to get to some spots, but definitely worth for a few dollars for a can a throttle body cleaner and another few dollars for a bottle of MAF cleaner. Waiting to see now if it makes in difference in MPG. Definitely stopped the idle dip at stopping and improved overall throttle response.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

and, id love to see pics

Old 11-27-2011, 02:53 AM

which throttle body cleaner did you use?

Quick Reply: TB cleaning Big difference!