PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Default RE: Synthetic oil

Happy 3,000th post Dennis! Thats quite an accomplishment!!.
[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 11-20-2006, 02:19 PM

Thanks..This is my last post....

Old 11-28-2006, 10:03 PM

Syn is the way to go IMO. Although debated over for years, I think syn is your best bet. The extra life, noise reduction, and lubrication for shifting is a real plus. It seems oil has advanced over the course of time and motors aren't being damaged due to oil breakdown like they used to I think its a safe bet to throw syn in every hole you got!

Old 12-14-2006, 11:55 PM

SD, got a q for ya, your tag say those who have hummers cannot have jeeps. does "cannot"mean will not/ won't? or jeeps are superior to all other vehicles.

apologies ahead of time for hijacking the thread.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

I changed mine at 1000 miles and then again at 5000 on the odo..now I'll be doing it every 5000 here after...
(Castrol Syntec)

Bird..I guess there is no real good reason to change it so early or so often..But the first oil change gets out all the manufactuing assembly greases and oils and small contaminates from being built...That's my theory and I'm sticking with it..Anyways it's cheap insurance and if you are a DIYer then this gives you a chance to get your lazy *** underneath to look things over for any problems that might otherwise go unchecked and progress to eventual premature failure of something..And I never had any engines develop internal problems with changing the oil more regular than the manufacturer suggests...people that go the full distance between changes I have heard to develop problems...So I'm just a worry wort and old school and don't want to press my luck as I've always have had good luck with frequent oil changes.
I have always done that on my vehicles, after 1000-2000 miles I get an oil change. Drove a '94 Mazda pickup (I miss that truck, my first offroad rig)to 137,000 miles with, zero engine problems. Did the first change at 2000 miles, and then at every 5000 mile interval.On my other vehicles,2 Mercurys and 2 Minis, same thing. Alsoused regular oil in theFords, butused Synthetic in the Minis. The Mini's engine wasdesigned for Synthetic oil and that is the only reason I used it.If the car is not designed for it no need to change. Just keep up with your oil changes and maintenance and you will be fine.

LW

Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 PM

I changed mine at 1000 miles and then again at 5000 on the odo..now I'll be doing it every 5000 here after...
(Castrol Syntec)
Jeez Dennis, you're like my twin thinker. I've used different Syn's form Mobil 1 to Royal Purple and Castrol Syntec. I stuck with the Syntec a while back, not sure why other than some friends who run top fuel alwaysswore by it,and I liked it enough to just stay with it. Never noticed enough difference in any of my engines to rate one synthetic higher than the other. Must be the Black Bottle.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 PM

WOW, it is surprising in this day and age how uniformed people are regarding oils &oil changes and filters. Not only in this forum, but the others I belong to. Being that I am an engineer, and into numbers and quality,I'm the type that needs proof and evidence to support your theory, your thinking or your evidence on your choice(s) or recommendation. Synthetics oils will always be superior to dino oils. Why? because it can take more heat, that simple. Before I open up a can of worms sorta speak, I would like to share a few sites with yall. Which ones are the best synthetics oils? Get ready to be surprised on the good, the bad, and the ugly. Why one of your Site Supporters IS the best, Amsoil, second best? BP Visco 5000, 3rd & 4th best? Mobil 1--yes Mobil 1. Proof? You say you want Proof? OK, here we go people, do some reading, inform yourself, check out the different linksat these sites. Research, do a little homework. Eliminate myths from facts. Even with these sites I'll give you, ALWAYS be Skeptical, don't trust everything you read, don't beleive or fall for everything your told,however, with the combination of reading & researching these things, you would be amazed on how uninformed we are, and how dealers, the jiffy lubes and the good beers, eeerrr good years, take advantage of vehicle owners, especially the women & uninformed men once detected by the service provider. To get this rolling I would like to share a few sites I found researching this stuff since August of last year. Remember, read, be skeptical, ask questions and don't beleive everything, what you will learn perhaps will give you away to defend yourself and save money at the same time. Enjoy, it can take some time reading at some sites, esp if you check out the links, my goal with this, to share some knowledge with my new friends here.

http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oi...nst_oils.shtml

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Oi...ge%20Intervals

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

Some sites information is older than others, however facts are facts, time will not change these findings IMHO. If you think differently, prove it--

Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Royal Purple is my choice, lots of studies have it listed as one of the top 5 oils in the world! Have run cars and trucks to over 200k several times on this amazing purple fluid!

2003 H2
Larry