PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Default Synthetic oil

How many of you believe that it is advantagious to use synthetic over conventional oil? Or, maybe more to the point, worth it.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Default RE: Synthetic oil

I do. I run Mobil 1 in the engine of everything i own.

I guess i've always done it as a "what the heck, it might help", but for a penny or two a mile if the use of synthetics reduced the need for service or improved mileage by 2%, etc., you'd ultimately break even.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:48 PM

I use Mobil 1 in everything. Out of all the syns, I think it's the best. As for more mileage, don't know, I never checked. It has to better for the motor than regular oil. A lot of people say as long as you change it every 3000, it does not make a difference what you use. I have seen tests and tried some myself and syns seem to protect better. Syns can take a lot more heat than reg oil (if your engine overheats, some oils will crystalize and you loose any protection). Also if you put a regular and a syn in the freezer overnight, you will see the difference of how much better the syn oil will flow. (in some cases, you cant even get the regular oil to flow at all). That can help some of those cold morning starts.
Is it worth the extra money? I think so, but i'm sure you could find a lot of people that would tell you it isn't. .......I know it performs better and makes me feel better knowing I'm doing everything I can do to keep the motor working strong. Don't know if this helps, but it's my .02.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-17-2006, 09:19 PM

Ain't arguing about anyone's perferred lubricating brew...

I've used Castrol since I've been driving and that's when car wheels were made of wooden spokes..Well maybe not quite that long[]

But anyway, I now use the Castrol Syntec in everything I drive..And I Have ever since it came out..In all my cars and there's been a few...I never ever once had a single internal engine problem...I used Mobil 1 when it first came out in 1976/77, in my 75 Toyota Celica, and it burned a qt per week and dripped out both front and rear seals..I changeed back to Castrol and everything returned to normal on it's own...Now things have come a long way since then with Mobil 1, but since that time I've been leary of ever using it again..

But to answer your question; "is it worth it?"..Absolutely!!! Besides, they don't need fossil oils to make it, so that makes us less oil dependant.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 PM

The big difference in lubricity between synthetics and petrolium oils is that the syntehic oils have molecules of all the same size. The petrolium based products have molecules of different size. To quote one of my instructors when I was taking diesel mechanics, "Imagine draggind a refrigerator across a cement floor covered in gravel. It moves pretty good, but there is still some resistance. Now imagine dragging that same refrigerator across the same floor, but this time it is covered marbles. It moves a lot easier. The petrolium product molecules are like the gravel, all different sizes and shapes. The synthetic is like the marbles, all uniform in size and shape." It has the same effect on the engine parts.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:23 PM

Way to go Dennis. "It doesn't take fossil fuels to make synthetic oil". And people have the audacity to say that we Hummer driver's have no respect for environmental issues.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Ain't arguing about anyone's perferred lubricating brew...

I've used Castrol since I've been driving and that's when car wheels were made of wooden spokes..Well maybe not quite that long[]

But anyway, I now use the Castrol Syntec in everything I drive..And I Have ever since it came out..In all my cars and there's been a few...I never ever once had a single internal engine problem...I used Mobil 1 when it first came out in 1976/77, in my 75 Toyota Celica, and it burned a qt per week and dripped out both front and rear seals..I changeed back to Castrol and everything returned to normal on it's own...Now things have come a long way since then with Mobil 1, but since that time I've been leary of ever using it again..

But to answer your question; "is it worth it?"..Absolutely!!! Besides, they don't need fossil oils to make it, so that makes us less oil dependant.

Dennis. I too use to use Mobil 1 Synthetic when it first came out in 1976/77. The only problem with it then is that it use to only come in 5W-20. I also remember that the oil gauge in my van use to be on the low side from how thin it was.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:06 PM

LG that's an awesome explanation.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sugardaddy

LG that's an awesome explanation.
I second that. LG seems to be the expert on everything Petrolium.

I HAVE A QUESTION YES I DO.

What is the main difference between all of the Synthetics out there?

I have personally tried ALL of them. Every time I would use a different one, the last time I tested being a few years ago on my Camaro. It has a 3.6L V6. I used Castrol Syntec, Mobile 1, Royal Purple, etc. But the one I actually noticed a difference with was the Valvoline SynPower. I even had my friends drive my car that were used to it and said they felt a difference. It wasn't a miracle increase in power, but we all felt there was a difference in accleration and engine vibration while accelerating. I do like Royal Purple just because it seems to hold out longer, but I have only used the SynPower since then. I haven't done it in my H3 yet but I will be soon. I'm still debating whether I want to use RP, SynPower or that new 7500 mile oil, I think Mobile makes it.

LG had a good point. So, is one synthetic just as good as the next, or is it perhaps the size of the molecules vary from one brand to another?

Old 11-09-2006, 06:05 PM

No impact, no idea. The molecules may be a different size, but beyond the shape and color of the jug, and the price on the sticker, I think it boils down to a personal taste. Kinda like Coke vs. Pepsi. They are both the same, but different enough to where the brand loyal die hards swear by them, or at them depending on thier side of the fence.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil