PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Sylvania Silverstar Ultras

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by varun
I would like to order Sylvania Silverstar Ultras for my Hummer H2. Are they the same (H13) for the headlamps and fog lights (9005)?

Is there an online vendor that is cheaper than stores or can I get these at a local auto parts store for not a lot more?

Also, has anyone had issues with the foglamp lenses melting or getting too hot/soft on an H2?
Anyone?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 AM

I got curious about this melting, so I did a little research yesterday while I was at my local Meijer store. One of the guys said they installed Sylvania SilverStar Ultras #9005. These bulbs are rated at 65 watts. The OEM bulbs in my fogs are rated at 37 watts (stamped right on the bulb base). Could THIS be the problem??

Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by varun
Anyone?

Lamp Replacement Guide Home

And to halo.... nailed it..... i have heard of a dealer that told my friend they eould not put the silver star in there car cause it would melt the harness.. so i assume it would do the housing aswell...

Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 AM

Well I put the 9005s in my fogs. I will wait and see if I have any problems. If I do I will be sure to share.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 AM

i had nothing but problems with silver stars in my LR D2. nothing major other than the fact that they'd only last about 3 months and at $25 a whack ...

i'm seeing here that others are having the same issues. i'd steer clear.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Seems like they are rated too high for the stock fog lamps. So is there an alternative to the dim and inferior stock bulb for the headlamps and the fogs?

Old 02-11-2012, 07:54 AM

per recommendation from several on this board i went with an HID conversion for my headlights. took about 1/2 hour start to finish and so far they've worked great. make sure the glass-tic on the headlight are super clear because if they're hazy you won't get a nice beam.

this post will save you time: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-diagram-4411/ ... it lists the wiring colors for the socket.

not sure about fogs but i'm sure they make a kit for those as well.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by zderekv
per recommendation from several on this board i went with an HID conversion for my headlights.
Just curious, how does your HID kit conversion produce the "high beam" ?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM

that's a trick question - LOL! at the present time, i don't have hi beams. i have a standard HID kit for lo beams and i'm going to tap into the truck's hi beam circuit for the lights on my (yet to be purchased) ram bar. i got the kit nib for a song, otherwise i would have gone with the hi/lo kit and just done away with the hi's when i mount my bar and lights.

but to truly answer your question, some kits use a bi-xenon HID bulb with some kind of motor that repositions the actual HID bulb (sounds a little hokey for an off-road vehicle), and some use a hi/lo kit with an HID for lo beam and a halogen for hi beam - both on the same socket.

this is the maker of my kit:HIDHeadlightKit.com. i don't now that much about them but they were very easy to install and they look great. as i said earlier though, i believe the quality of light output, no matter who the maker, hinges on the condition of your headlight lenses - mine are cherry.

Last edited by zderekv; 02-11-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Default hids

My hids were just a cheep ebay, low beam set for the driving lights, and for the fog... the fog produce way more visability,... also i ended up adding the hi,low set on headlights, and it wasnt worth it, the hi beam is crap on hids, but who needs a hi beam when you have the best headlights on the road, and a huge set of fog lights, , four big circles beaming hid light.... doesnt get any better than that.... sence the fog light up most of the street within 15 feet or so, im soon going to point my headlights further out... crap on others.... dont ride infront of me.... riding dirty

Quick Reply: Sylvania Silverstar Ultras