PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Sylvania Silverstar Ultras

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by WannaScoopaDis
I didnt like HID kits for the fact that the highs dont always work when needed. In the places I drive there is always on coming traffic so you have to switch them on and off.

Thats what made me go with the silverstar ultras.

And here is a pic of before and after (comparing the stock lights with the ultras)

Good choice, my hids, after flashing my his at a fast rate i blew a ballast packet and had to replace it, 10$ on ebay... so im not gona gamble flickering over once from now on... also they are awesomely bright, but for some reason the hi's are not any brighter they just appear to make the light go further but not in a good way, maybe i need to check my alighnment with street, any how, for those like you doing alot of hi/ low swapn. I agree get the silverstar ultras... sence i ride with just lows and never go to his the hids look good... thinking of adding some silver star ultras in my reverse lights though, custom job )) haha soon enough...

Old 02-08-2012, 04:45 AM

6000k HID -v- Silverstar Ultra - YouTube

This is why i chose hid over silverstar

Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM

They are a lot brighter and do look nice. Just the swapping from high to low bothers me.

They do look nice though.

But I am happy with the ultras.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 AM

i have a question regarding the problem with hid's when flashing from hi to lo beam - is that only if you continually flicker them (like when you're signalling someone to go) or can they go from just switching them from lo to hi occassionally on a dark un-lit road? from what i've seen of hid's there's really not such a need to switch to the hi beam anyway.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 PM

I have read that the issue is the bulb needs to be warmed up so to speak... so when you turn on your brights they dont stay on right away.

but I do not have HIDs so someone else may know the best answer.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM

I have read that the issue is the bulb needs to be warmed up so to speak... so when you turn on your brights they dont stay on right away.

but I do not have HIDs so someone else may know the best answer.
HID bulbs don't need to warm up, per se.
HID bulbs have only one intensity and use a metal baffle plate to go between low beam (sharp cut off) and high beam (baffle down) and full unobstructed brightness.
This is the system used in "projection" HID systems, like STARR and The Retrofit Source.

HID "kits" that cost much less work in a different manner entirely.
First, they use the stock halogen housings of your vehicle. Your stock headlight housing is designed for halogen bulbs of a specific size and shape, not an HID Xenon bulb. The correct bulb and housing are a very careful design to give you the light you need on the road, not in the eyes of oncoming traffic. That is why HID "kits" are not DOT approved or legal in all 50 states.
Some HID "kits" use a moving bulb to create a high beam pattern.
It seems like each manufacture of these "kits" have they own way of producing a high beam pattern, with mixed results.

There has been allot written about these "kits" on this and other forums.
Bottom line is that they work reliably for some but not all people.
The excessive dazzle is a concern either way

Last edited by wfturner; 02-08-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
HID bulbs don't need to warm up, per se.
HID bulbs have only one intensity and either use a metal baffle plate to go between low beam (sharp cut off) and high beam (baffle down) and full unobstructed brightness.
This is the system used in "projection" HID systems, like STARR and The Retrofit Source.

HID "kits" that cost much less work in a different manner entirely.
First, they use the stock halogen housings of your vehicle. Your stock headlight housing is designed for halogen bulbs of a specific size and shape, not an HID Xenon bulb. The correct bulb and housing are a very careful design to give you the light you need on the road, not in the eyes of oncoming traffic. That is why HID "kits" are not DOT approved or legal in all 50 states.
Some HID "kits" use a moving bulb to create a high beam pattern.
It seems like each manufacture of these "kits" have they own way of producing a high beam pattern, with mixed results.

There has been allot written about these "kits" on this and other forums.
Bottom line is that they work reliably for some but not all people.
The excessive dazzle is a concern either way
Nice input, hope this answers your question

Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 PM

Just ordered some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras for both my headlights (H13) and fog lights (9005). I cant wait to see the difference they make!
I would like to order Sylvania Silverstar Ultras for my Hummer H2. Are they the same (H13) for the headlamps and fog lights (9005)?

Is there an online vendor that is cheaper than stores or can I get these at a local auto parts store for not a lot more?

Also, has anyone had issues with the foglamp lenses melting or getting too hot/soft on an H2?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Default hid reply

Hi/low question flicker......... my case i had the old analog style ballasts and added hi/low bulbs to it and the flickering from hi to low must have done something resulting in a ballast power pack go bad.... general rule of thumb, dont flicker your hids... why.. i dunno. But its not good.. now that i have the tiny ballasts (((digital)))) smaller than my wallet.. when analog were the size of my shoe. Haha. These i have put them to the test and didnt want anything braking down on my so i flickered them from hi to low for minutes and tried to brake them... there excellent... so just get the small ballasts digital and a harness with relay with the bulbs... kit is 60$ on ebay.. ask them questions if needed.. they know whats digital and not and if it has a harness and relay as the cheeper ones dont....

Fog light houseing melt question, reply..... i have always had hids in all my cars and this h3, hids run cold... there temperature after driving 8hrs straight all nite from flordia to up state, the hids are still cold... they dont get warm like filament bulbs... hids have a gas that getas ignited... when hologen has filaments that create a on going spark in dummie terms that generates heat.... in my h3, full hid fog kit on ebay 30$... my hi,low headlights 60$... now if i wanted just lows and no bright light feature the kit is 30$ aswell and its all plug and play... 3 minutes hook up.. just stick the bulb in, connect bulb to ballast pack that you can zip tie somewhere behind light. And plug factory harhness that use to plug to the bulb, plug that harness into the ballast pack... piece of cake,.

Youtube hids... 99% of the people showing off there hids the car did not come with that, its a 30$ kit of ebay...

Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM

The reason i flickered the hell out of them, is because most of the seller on ebay have a no questions asked why a part doesnt work warranty, full warranty .. they will accept the bad, return u with a new part, bulb and ballast up to two years... the parts now days are almost full proof... the old ones are not... haha.

Quick Reply: Sylvania Silverstar Ultras