PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Default Supercharger

Any of you guys supercharged your H2? Is there a preferred brand? I'm interested but leery of blowing my tranny. Ok that last phrase sounded a little off color, apologies.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:42 PM

There are quite a few of us on here who have added superchargers. I have a magnuson kit myself but there are some other brands that people seem to be happy with. Hummer H2 2003 Magnuson Supercharger - Magnuson Products, LLC there is a link to mine, I have the prior generation that is black not polished. 100,000 miles on it I had to have it rebuilt. cost $400 and 3 days no car to have that done after removing the blower myself.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:34 PM

Have there been many issues with other stock parts from the added power/torque? Any other bolt ons that should be done at the same time?

Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Not sure if it was the blower or not but at around 100k miles I my torque converter scattered and took out my transmission. It seems to be a common occurrence at 100k though so not convinced that it was the blowers fault. the only issues I was having was heat issues while towing.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Default supercharger

i have stage 3 vortech in mine no issues at all

Old 05-08-2014, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by fuimrich
i have stage 3 vortech in mine no issues at all

Aren't the vortecs a little more trouble free than the intake mounted systems? When I had my GTO is seemed the guys with the vortecs had less issues than the guys with the huge intake mounted SC's.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:13 AM

I haven't had both so I don't know. I haven't had any issues that were due to the blower that I know of. The only thing that is suspect would be my torque converter scattering but I cant blame it on the supercharger as there was 100,000 miles on the torque convertor and 80,000 on the blower. so meh....I don't know but seems fine.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:26 PM

mine has been trouble free all that i need to do is regular maitance an change supercharger oil plus if i hit right i can turn all 4 tires on pavement

Old 05-09-2014, 11:37 AM

LJ,
Coming from a Maggie'd Vette, what I know is there isnt much difference on the reliability as much as the performance.
Maggies tend to have power immediately and tend to have a top end
- for example there is a Vette guy with a Maggie that is pushing 600hp on a 400+ c.i. block. He has alot of work to get that out of his maggie. Basically his engine is making most of that power. I figure I could get close to that with mine, but again it involves alot. So BIG HP number on a maggie... probably not BUT like I said, you step on the right skinny pedal and the torque and power is there.

As for a vortech, in the vette world, its all about the BIG numbers. The power grows from the start and then continuous. Remember they are belt driven turbos. So you have to wait for it to create the power, but you also can setup the centri blower to accommodate for various settings. Change a housing, and you can get more air and power power. Change a impeller / or blade setup and again you could increase or decrease spooling and power production.

Hope this helps

Old 05-10-2014, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
LJ,
Coming from a Maggie'd Vette, what I know is there isnt much difference on the reliability as much as the performance.
Maggies tend to have power immediately and tend to have a top end
- for example there is a Vette guy with a Maggie that is pushing 600hp on a 400+ c.i. block. He has alot of work to get that out of his maggie. Basically his engine is making most of that power. I figure I could get close to that with mine, but again it involves alot. So BIG HP number on a maggie... probably not BUT like I said, you step on the right skinny pedal and the torque and power is there.

As for a vortech, in the vette world, its all about the BIG numbers. The power grows from the start and then continuous. Remember they are belt driven turbos. So you have to wait for it to create the power, but you also can setup the centri blower to accommodate for various settings. Change a housing, and you can get more air and power power. Change a impeller / or blade setup and again you could increase or decrease spooling and power production.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply, and yes it helps so thanks. Where are you from? I couldn't help but chuckle about some of your phrasing. What kind of vette do you have?

Quick Reply: Supercharger