PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Sunroof leak (yes I read all of the articles)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 04:44 PM
Angry Sunroof leak (yes I read all of the articles)

I noticed that my front hand grips on drivers and passenger side are dripping water when it rains out.
I RTV'd the marker lights on roof
I RTV'd the weatehr stripping around the door when it seems to be a little easy to pull at the front top corner
I filled the sunroof reservoir to which I thought I found the problem as it was not draining.
I took some weed whacker cord and jammed it in about 4-5 feet and then the water drained away fast

Now a good thunderstorm hit, I go running out to my H2 and jump in. Same problem

Am I missing something? Is there another weak spot that I need to take care of?

*I guess I need to recheck the reservoir draining speed again but....

Old 06-25-2015, 05:03 PM

OK, rain calmed down and I jumped back in. Handles still dripping. I opened sunroof and the reservoir is damp and empty.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:12 AM

Ok so this morning I continue my "sealing adventure"
I decided to take some RTV and put some more around the marker lights

Also to note: When I took off marker lights and looked down in the hole, I could see the headliner but it didnt look stained.

Also to note: I inspected the sunroof track (U channel) and I do see 1 hole on each side that show the head liner too. But the reservoir would have to be backed up and over flow in there.

Maybe there is a read reservoir and the rear tubes are clogged and during the rain it floods the U channel and leaks in?
*However my truck is parked on a level ground

Any thoughts/clues/suggestions/spells would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-26-2015, 02:46 PM

Today we had a light rain shower. Sure enough - dripping from both of the handles.

I can pretty much rule out the marker lights at this point. I mean they are RTV'd real good

Suspects are: Sunroof, U Channel in sunroof, windshield, roof rack tracks

Unless it is the sunroof seal - not the side where the sliding window is but the side(s) that favor the roof itself.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:13 PM

when mine came in the handles like that it was the corner marker lights, did you put a bead around hole that rubber bung fits into that the wires for the light run through? just another idea, sealed mine dry as a bone, I cleaned the area with rubbing alchohol first also followed the track where water flows and drains and removed a ton of crud, if you have to put a hose on one light at a time and or sunroof separate and see which area leaks

Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 PM

I did... I removed all marker lights and corner lights - smeared RTV on bottom of lights and in the hole. Placed it back on, ran more RTV around the edged and on the screw in the back too. It holds a puddle of water if I place my hand in front of it

Old 06-26-2015, 04:29 PM

Its the light rain that is confusing me now

Old 06-26-2015, 04:53 PM

well id wait for a dry day and do the hose test, one spot at a time till u find the leak at least you can eliminate one area at a time that way, stopping water is always a pain

Old 06-27-2015, 09:10 AM

ok - I ran the hose over the marker lights for 5 minutes. Which is way more of an amount than a light rain. Figure 4 gallons a minute - so 20 gallons,
Not a drip

Ran water down the roof rack tracks for about 5 minute - nothing
On the door seals too

I ran in on the sunroof then I looked at reservoir and it was holding water, AH HA...
I watched it and it slowly goes down

Now when I tested it I ran a cup of water in a bone dry tube. I am thinking I didnt pour enough in the tubes so it emptied the reservoir quick - like filling a tall thin glass of water

So I filled up reservoir up until it held water - took my weed whaker line and snaked it through until it hit something then I banged at it or chopped at it. I looked at front wheels and seen it dripping to is was draining . So I fired up my air compressor and connected the "rubber tip" option to it, jammed it in the sunroof holes (set it for 45 psi if that makes a diff) and blasted it in there.

Now when I fill up the reservoir, it drains like a toilet

Official test will be this afternoon and the rainstorm that hits us

Old 06-28-2015, 10:01 AM

Light rain for about 30 minutes - h2 is bone dry

I think problem is solved

I did order this so I can get to all areas in sunroof - may as well clean all tubes
Amazon.com : JCS 1/4inch MPT Straight Tilt Valve - Rubber Tip Blow Gun : Sports & Outdoors

Quick Reply: Sunroof leak (yes I read all of the articles)