PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Strange Enginge/RPM dip while Idling

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. If anyone happens to take theirs in and get some sort of diagnosis please share!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 AM

My 06 does the same thing. There's a number of things that can cause it as mentioned above. It's always when coming to a stop, and doesn't do it bad enough to throw a code.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:56 PM

i didnt see this post until i posted mine. i was having the same symptoms everyone else was having. i went out and cleaned the throttle bodie. it revs up at first to adjust itsself then after that it ran like it was brand new. the needle is perfect, no up and down or anything. i would def. try the lil the stuff first.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:14 PM

I was having the same problem. Brought it to the dealership (for a completely different issue) and they replaced the throttle body. Said that the TP sensor readings were erratic. Runs as good as new now!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Our truck was doing the same and would log a TP sensor code problem every now and then. Some critter stockpiled about a pound of acorns and a few handfulls of grass clippings, candy, and cigarette wrappers in the aircleaner box. The filter was so clogged that it's pleats were even collapsing down.

Cleaning out the box and a new filter did the trick!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned
Default yikes!

Some critter stockpiled about a pound of acorns and a few handfulls of grass clippings
time for wire screen over intake pipe!
mice in my barn prefer a metal cabinet or parts drawer to a box of straw,,,go figger!
ive heard they crawl up a tailpipe,old, into the engine!
small animal,sm brain

Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 AM

I just got this exact problem fixed, (after 3 trips to the dealership and about $900 later!) the dealership kept telling me they fixed it and then a day or two later it would always come back! so finnaly they told me that the coil needed to be replaced but it was gonna cost $110 just for the coil from the dealership. so i called oriley auto parts and they said they didnt have one for the h3 so i found out that they put the same coil pack on several different trucks, ie. trailblazer or colorado. i got one from a trail blazer between $30-$40, replaced it, runs like a champ! hope this helps. and if you do take it to the dealership i would not listen to them when they tell you that they can clean the throttle body, replace the cam sensor, or relearn the computer to fix your prob.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM

My H3 had the same issue and dealer cleaned the throttle body and MAS, warned me about using my K&N filter. I clean mine every so often to avoid the same issue you are having.

Get yourself some Mass Airflow sensor and throttle body cleaner from your local part store. Clean as directed. Install new OEM air filter and do not use K&M or other oiled filters as oily residue from filter will get on the Mass Airflow sensor and gum up the throttle body.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM

I just bought an 07' H3 with 50k miles about a month ago. Had it inspected pretty thoroughly before I bought it and everything checked out okay. Then a couple of weeks ago I started having this exact same problem. I live in Boise, ID so it can be a little cold in the morning during winter (18-36 degrees F). When I first start driving it on these colder mornings, as I am coming to a stop at intersections it does the same thing. RPM's drop, almost like it wants to die, but doesn't. When I come to a complete stop the rpm needle drops to about 500 rpm and back up to 1000. It seems to go away once the vehicle is warmed up, but this past weekend I was cruising at 45mph and the rpm's were acting a little funny. My check engine light actually came on for about 2 seconds and went off, hasn't come back on sense. I went to a local O'Reilly store today and checked the computer but there were no error codes stored. Thought I would jump on here and see if anyone else was having a similar problem. From reading everyone else's responses I am hoping it is just something small like the Mass Air Flow Sensor or Throttle bodie needs to be cleaned. I am going to check the Airbox and Filter today. Any other suggestions?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ar_h3
I just got this exact problem fixed, (after 3 trips to the dealership and about $900 later!) the dealership kept telling me they fixed it and then a day or two later it would always come back! so finnaly they told me that the coil needed to be replaced but it was gonna cost $110 just for the coil from the dealership. so i called oriley auto parts and they said they didnt have one for the h3 so i found out that they put the same coil pack on several different trucks, ie. trailblazer or colorado. i got one from a trail blazer between $30-$40, replaced it, runs like a champ! hope this helps. and if you do take it to the dealership i would not listen to them when they tell you that they can clean the throttle body, replace the cam sensor, or relearn the computer to fix your prob.
This may sound like a dumb question but what are you referring to when you say "coil needed to be replaced"? What kind of a coil?

Quick Reply: Strange Enginge/RPM dip while Idling