PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Stering wheel lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Default Stering wheel lights

How do you fix the steering wheel lights that have gone out?

Old 03-14-2013, 12:54 AM

pretty easy, I have a build thread on 2 other forums but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to link other forums here.

Anyway take a thin screwdriver and push it down along side the button pack and wiggle the buttons out. The entire assembly will come out. Then you need to find something to stick back there to release the plug coming from the wires.

Once you release the plug the entire button pack will come right out.

I replaced all my dash and door bulbs with LED so you can go that route if you want. You would need 12 volt diffused white LED's-2 LED's per button pack. I would recommend the LED's because they'll last forever instead of the small filament stock bulbs.

You'll see at the back of the button pack there are some indents that hold the back (off white) plastic part to the black main plastic. Slide a small screwdriver down the sides and the back will pop off.

Now you'll see the circuit board and rubber/plastic blue piece that contacts the board when you push the button, the bulbs are obviously on there.

If you go with leds just cut the blue lens portion of that away so the LED sticks straight through. All you do is solder the new bulb or LED into the old spot.

For LED's remember they have a certain polarity so just touch the leads to the contact pads on the board to see which way it lights then solder it in place.

Sorry for such a long explanation but hopefully it helps. Let me know if you need any further help. Shoot me a PM if you want the link to my build thread.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 AM

Here's a pic of white LED's. You can see its a very crisp white, much whiter than the dull yellow stock bulbs.

Name:  steeringwheelcontrolwhite.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  32.1 KB

Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 AM

Or... just go to your local GM dealer and buy a new button pack for $20.

Remove and replace with a small screw driver

Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rooster
Or... just go to your local GM dealer and buy a new button pack for $20.

Remove and replace with a small screw driver

That is the other option however I have never seen them go for $20. Most of the button sets go for upwards of $100 if not more. They can be found on Ebay for just under $100.

However for a couple bucks in bulbs or leds you can replace them on your own. It's very simple to do if you have basic soldering skills.

The factory bulbs are known for burning out especially behind the cluster along with the stepper motors. I would use this as a learning experience to hone your soldering skills if need be to be prepared for further burned out bulbs in the future.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 PM

You all are verv helpful Thanks alot guys. I have everything apart now and see what you mean and can solder. Now where do I go to get the bulbs? And what should I ask for?

Old 03-14-2013, 03:22 PM

And the plug wire is very short looks like I'm gonna have fun plugging that back up JS.. Any tricks for reinstalling?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:23 PM

I used a spade dental pick. Put the spade through the wires at the rear of the harness to hold the plug forward with leverage against the steering wheel then wiggled the button pack back in.

That is the biggest pain. I also took my wheel apart to try and get some extra slack on the wires but there is none what so ever.

The filament bulbs and LED's you can buy on ebay for a couple bucks. If you have a good local electronics store you could maybe pick them up there.

I know my local Radio Shack didn't have anything I needed so I had to order everything.

Filament bulbs are just 12volt dash bulbs and like I mentioned for LED you should buy white diffused 12volt. The diffused scatter the light more so there aren't any hot spots.

Last edited by LoJac963; 03-14-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Thanks for responding Yes I tried radio **** today LOL!!! with no luck you would think they would carry them or something close. I would go with all LEDS but I only have two bulbs out right now in the same switch and if I can put it back together and get some practice doing it with ease maybe ill change out all of them to LEDS this summer but for now I just want to fix these two with filament bulbs so they all are the same Brightness you know?

Quick Reply: Stering wheel lights