PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Steering Wheel Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Default Steering Wheel Question?

Love my truck so far...the only issue I have is that the steering wheel is off a little bit. It sits to the right side.....at about 1:30 clock position. It's not that big of an issue, but I'm **** and don't like it. It doesn't really pull and tracks pretty straight when you let go of the wheel. I think that it may have been set wrong at the factory. EJPhoto had the same issue and found that he had one tire that was smaller than the others......go figure...I guess some air pressure fixed his issue. I'm gonna try this once the weekend rolls around...
I really don't want to take a long trip to the dealership again.....if the air pressure doesn't fix it, I would like to fix the wheel myself. I did a search and found some other folks that fixed their wheel and said it takes about 10 minutes to do it. Can anyone on here show/explain what to do? I'm pretty handy and can usually fix things, but need an explanation first!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Steering Wheel Question?

Wonder if the front wheels were blocked when they installed the steering wheel. Never taken an H3 steering wheel off. I will have to go look. The H1 steering wheel is very easy to remove.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

If the pressures are correct and the alignment is correct then it should be just a simple adjustment on the steering box.

I think someone posted a step by step for the 3 on here somewhere...

I'll check a little...

Old 01-31-2008, 06:53 PM

that's what I was looking for but couldn't find.....not sure if I should attempt it myself, or just stop at a place and have them fix it.....

Old 01-31-2008, 06:55 PM

I am not sure about the steering box, but I swapped out my steering wheel. It was pretty easy. I would think a person could pull the wheel off and put it back on a couple of splines to the left and be centered again. I don't "think" it would hurt anything? Heres the link the the instructions. Good luck!

http://hummerxclub.com/forum/viewtop...ilerpup#p92932

Old 01-31-2008, 07:08 PM

i had the same problem with my 08. it was off to the right as well. took it to the dealer twice. they initially said it was in line and adjusted the steering box. did not fix it. took it back and they then did an allignment. it was better but not perfect. finally got tired and took it to ntb. said it was out of line. they then realligned it and now its perfect. the dealer wont adjust it until 700 miles i think because gm says when vehicle is shipped, its tied down and needs to be driven some. also may be bad tire- called radial pull. lastly i replaced steering wheel and although very simple, it only goes on one way and wont affect wheel position. hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 PM

thanx for the responses.....I think maybe I'll take it to Brake Service.....They have been around for a long time and if you want it aligned and steering wheel straight...that is the place to go....I only have a little over 800 miles on it now.....
The truck doesn't pull at all.....just a crooked steering wheel...which is annoying!
BTW, what is the name of the place you took it to? NTB?? Haven't heard of that before...

Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 PM

national tire and battery. in columbus, ohio. they have one of the best allignment guys ive ever seen. my h3 didnt pull either. ive owned many vehicles and excluding a corvette, ive never had a good allignment by dealer. apparently not their strength. otherwise, the local hummer dealership has been great.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Ok made an appointment with Brake Service for this coming Tuesday......Will post when I find out what is wrong with mine(if only a crooked steering wheel).....also, I'm not sure if it's a good thing to have the alignment checked and the wheel straightened out before I have the lower steering shaft replaced (the lower steering shaft is pretty good in the Alpha...but will probably need to be done eventually)....hopefully I won't have to have the alignment redone after that....!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM

I tried the air pressure adjustment this morning.....didn't really make a big difference in the way the steering wheel....it is still off to the right. I have 1K miles on her now, and have noticed that it still goes straight but tends to go one way or the other when you let the wheel go......I report on Tuesday if the toe adjustments are out after the alignment....now my curiousity has gotten the better of me.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Question?