PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

steering vibrations/ tpms light? can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Default steering vibrations/ tpms light? can anyone help?

i have a 2007 hummer h3 lux and have the 16" 265 series tires on it and the tpms light turns on and off randomly, the dealer says i have the wrong tires on it and need the 285/75r 16 tires and they cant do anything about the tpms light.... does that make sense? also it threw the speedo off by 5mph and the dealer says it cant be fixed unless i put the original tires on it...
Also, the engine sounds like a diesel engine at times... not all the time and it will vibrate the whole car.... ive noticed it does it when the tpms light turns on???
driving it feels like the tires arent round but oval like- had tires balanced and im still having the same problem, the steering wheel shakes back and fourth, and does so violently on the interstate making it very scary to drive it on the interstate.
when i hit the smallest bump in the road the rear door sounds like its about to fall off, have taken it to 2 different hummer dealers and everyone says there is nothing wrong with it... this is my 2nd h3 and i never had these problems in my first one.
any ideas??

Old 03-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Banned

try to find a service shop that knows what a vehicle is. be sure they are in the motor driven vehicle business and can show proof that they work on cars,trucks,,,

Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 AM

You may have a belt slipping on one of your tires. A GOOD tire shop with a "road force" balancing machine should be able to tell you if your tires are out of round. This does happen even with "Brand X" tires but more often that not it is with an offbrand tire. If your H3 is suppose to have 285s then it is an Adventure package H3. Do you have the locker button on the upper left hand side of your 4x4 control panel?

As far as the TPMS and the other issues, can't help you there without actually feeling and hearing the issues. Speculation is all I could do.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
You may have a belt slipping on one of your tires. A GOOD tire shop with a "road force" balancing machine should be able to tell you if your tires are out of round. This does happen even with "Brand X" tires but more often that not it is with an offbrand tire. If your H3 is suppose to have 285s then it is an Adventure package H3. Do you have the locker button on the upper left hand side of your 4x4 control panel?

As far as the TPMS and the other issues, can't help you there without actually feeling and hearing the issues. Speculation is all I could do.
When I bought the hummer it had a set of 24"rims and tires so I bought a set of factory take off wheels and tires that were almost brand new. And as far as taking it to a good shop.... I've taken it to two certified hummer dealerships I didn't think that anyone else would know more about the car than them. It does have the locking dif. But it is the lux package with the upgraded suspension. I was at the dealer yesterday and they pulled the window sticker off the vin. If we can't figure the prob out I'll prob trade it in.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
try to find a service shop that knows what a vehicle is. be sure they are in the motor driven vehicle business and can show proof that they work on cars,trucks,,,
I've taken it to two reputable hummer dealerships in two different cities and neither can figure out what's going on

Old 03-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Any dealer that's not half retarded should be able to update your PCM to account for tire size changes. Also, if the tires you bought have TPMS sensor's you should be able to have them mate the TPMS sensors to the vehicle. First and foremost have your tires checked out, then make sure your alignment is right and have the tires rotated for good measure while you're at it.

If your dealer is telling you your tires are causing issues they are retarded. You should be able to put any tires and wheels you want on and they should be able to correct the PCM for you.

Have a tire shop check your tires out and then make the dealer reprogram the pcm for the new tire size. If they tell they can't they are full of crap, ask to speak with the service manager.

The back door noise may be your jack coming loose, check that out.

Last edited by Draketh; 03-15-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

If the previous owner had oversize tires/wheels on the truck before and had a matching spare on the tire carrier on the rear door that can cause some door sag. The dealer should easily be able to correct that. many of us that have upgraded to 35" tires for offroading have had the same issue.
There may have been a reason the other H3 owner removed those tires and wheels. Out of round tires, tires with separating belts, etc can all cause weird rides and problems in balancing. There is one major tire manufacturer that has a hard time making larger size tires that are round and it isn't uncommon to have to reject a couple of tires to get a good set of 4. Despite the fact you have been to two Hummer dealers doesn't mean that the right Tech looked at your truck. Where are you located? At my Hummer dealership one guy works on my H1s and one guy works on the H2 and H3. Nobody else at the dealership touches the trucks. The two that do have my absolute faith and trust, the others work on other people's trucks.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
If the previous owner had oversize tires/wheels on the truck before and had a matching spare on the tire carrier on the rear door that can cause some door sag. The dealer should easily be able to correct that. many of us that have upgraded to 35" tires for offroading have had the same issue.
There may have been a reason the other H3 owner removed those tires and wheels. Out of round tires, tires with separating belts, etc can all cause weird rides and problems in balancing. There is one major tire manufacturer that has a hard time making larger size tires that are round and it isn't uncommon to have to reject a couple of tires to get a good set of 4. Despite the fact you have been to two Hummer dealers doesn't mean that the right Tech looked at your truck. Where are you located? At my Hummer dealership one guy works on my H1s and one guy works on the H2 and H3. Nobody else at the dealership touches the trucks. The two that do have my absolute faith and trust, the others work on other people's trucks.

I've taken it to the hummer dealer in boardman Ohio(sweeny) and greenwood in Hubbard, oh... Honestly i feel they don't want to work on it out of laziness but I can't say for sure... They tell me it's fixed when it's not... They had my car for 1 month talk about hell, goin without a car for a month is hard! You would think after that long they would figure it out, I have warranty but they won't even replace anything because I'm not the 1st owner of the car. But I paid for extended warranty. I feel my hands are tied because I bought this car that truly feels unsafe to drive, and no one will fix it so any imput will help thanks to all of you for the feedback. If anyone has anymore ideas please let me know thanks

Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Banned

i rarely spend money on lawyers,,,but

Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 AM

All I can say is Central Cadillac Hummer Buick GMC in Beachwood Ohio has never done me wrong. However if you go there don't talk to the service manager Jason, hes a tard and is rude and impatient. Talk to Joe the service adviser and tell him Nick with the white H3 Alpha referred you.

The dealership was recently sold, they had another one in downtown Cleveland, but that one is no longer affiliated I guess. My good friend who is the sales manager at the Beachwood location is moving, or has already moved downtown, however the service staff has stayed the same at the Beachwood location.

If you want it done right go there, talk to Joe, and tell him every single issue and concern you are having.

Quick Reply: steering vibrations/ tpms light? can anyone help?