PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Steering does'nt lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Default RE: Steering does'nt lock?

ORIGINAL: shortbus

there's a "stick" in the bottom, left hand side of the steering wheel trim (under the turn signal wand), referred to as J 42640, that can be removed to unlock the steering column. don't know what it looks like, and it's like a freakin' hurricane outside right now so i'm not gonna go out and look. that's all the shop manual shows for unlocking the steering column - all the other troubleshooting guides refer to not being able to turn the key to off or get it out of the ignition switch.
That could be it. An older gentleman bought this for his wife. bet she had hell unlocking the wheel at time and he probably had it removed for her. Just thinking out loud.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

I saw the weather reports. If your weather guys are like ours, you'll be lucky to get 7" of snow up in the pass?? The more they hype here, the dumber they look. Then when they tell ya no big deal..........2-4" expected, you wake up the next morning with 15"???? [:'(]

Seriously, I heard it was big time windy out there, strap it all down and hang on.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 PM

Must be under the plastic housing? I could not see anything other than screw holes.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

It is just starting to get a little cloudy in Socal. The rains are a day or so late down here. Looks like Norcal is getting pounded pretty good.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM

the manual says it's removed through an access hole, from the drawing it looks about center between the wheel and dash trim, but may be on the right side (hard to tell from the illustration). the manual is for an '03, but i don't think they changed from 03 to 04. still, if it's just the wheel lock that isn't working, it doesn't sound like anything too troubling that will cause you problems. it would be interesting to know what the problem is though. [>:]

i got stuff blowing onto my office roof (tuffshed in the back yard, i love my commute ). when the CalTrans cameras were working at the Truckee scales it looked like very little snow had fallen, but the camera was wobbling all over the place and i couldn't watch for more than 5 seconds (all the cams are offline right now though). wind here is probably hitting 50 mph in gusts, and about 20 steady. it's warmer than it has been, so the snow level is higher than normal. no matter what happens, i know i can still drive through it - or over it . . . .