PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Stealth Grill Boulder Grey H3

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Default Stealth Grill Boulder Grey H3

I wrote several threads on Grills, and changing grills, this is more of the same but also deals with Photoshop, I saw a thread with a Hummer grill on a Toyota, and another on a Jeep, the jeep was real the toy was, well a toy... it gave me an idea on faking my grill using photoshop, or in my case CorelDraw, I edited a pic of my H3 to blacken the grill, just to get an idea of what everyone thinks of the color change.

Here the grill is a little darker than I expect, I wanted to maintain shadows in the grill so I masked off the area to change and used a transparent color fill, set at about 80% black, with a 5% transparency we get this, otherwise it was too fake looking, I realize the color I'll end up with will be more grey, in anycase it gives us a general idea, and as for a color match we could go to any Hummer site and find that.

If you don't mind give me an idea of what you think, and if you think this is a good use of photoshop-ing a truck. Personally I don't think adding a grill to a Toyota is a good use, it sorta seems silly, like putting farah's head on a playboy bunny's body... actually thats a good use... unless it is just practice for using the program, it really is silly faking a pic and passing it off as real, something like the H3SUT that was going around, and the Toyota I mentioned. Awhile back Imentionedphotoshop-ing could be used for seeing how your truck would look with a roof rack, dark rims, window vents etc. whaen someone asked about brushguards or something they wanted to add to their truck... In this case changing the grill color, which is a little more work, than adding something would be,in CorelDraw (which by the way Coreldoes offer a photo editing program, which I have usedbut not for this type work, I only use their photo edit software for lightning, and darkening photos. The masking tools in CorelDraw is a much better program, I can use Corel to do nearly anything topic that can be done with Photoshop, I might put together a cool, pic in pic with a hummer or two, in which the two pics interact, to do this with a grill, you have to 1st trace the grill, then use a simplify tool to cut out areas you don't want colored, it took about 15 minutes. I could help anyone that wants to learn or if you have the program i could help make the file that traces or outlines the area you want changed

Name:  corelfrawgrill.jpg
Views: 5965
Size:  144.9 KB

Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Default RE: Stealth Grill Boulder Grey H3

I know I post too much and thanks to Doc I'm a pic posting fool now too, any old ways, heres another photoshop-ed mod to see what might look best, I tinted the passenger side front turn signal, it goes from 0%, to 15% to 25% and then 35%, the marker on the side is real... whihc do you think would look best as fr as the marker light

Name:  grill2.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  180.7 KB

Old 11-19-2008, 05:46 PM

Nice color combination, I like it alot!!Ive got a Black H3 w/chrome door handles and mirrors. I willsoon be painting those along with the front grill a Matte Black. The wheels (Matte Black) will soon follow along with using Vans tint spray to do the sidemarkers. Also thinking about using Yellow tint spray along with some Yellow Nokya bulbs for the foglights. Ill post pics asI completethe process.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: H3_Mafia

Nice color combination, I like it alot!!Ive got a Black H3 w/chrome door handles and mirrors. I willsoon be painting those along with the front grill a Matte Black. The wheels (Matte Black) will soon follow along with using Vans tint spray to do the sidemarkers. Also thinking about using Yellow tint spray along with some Yellow Nokya bulbs for the foglights. Ill post pics asI completethe process.
Rather than spray tint your side markers you may want to check out the guy I got mine from, on eBay, they aren't sprayed, but they are dark, and best of all theylight up amber, he sells them for $20.00 actually $19.99 delivered, that is to say he has free shipping so it only cost 19.99. If you were tospray them you'll need to take the markers off anyway, so you might as well change them out, keeping the yellow markers in case you ever want to sell, for me the easiest way to switch them was to take the wheel well covers out, its about 8 to 12 clips holding them in place, once these are out the well is easy to reach up into to change the markers, I still used pliers to pinch the clips making it easier to get them out, my brother suggested breaking the old markers out soince I didn't need them, no sooner did I explain to him why i didn't want to do it that way did my son come uop and say the same thing, "you should just crack the old ones out" so incase anyone else thinks it would be ok to just yank them out, if they break they break, remember the fender is fiberglass, it would be like cracking two eggs together, one will break, not always the one you to break, but one will break... Also for me it was easier to take the front tire off while changing the light, this might notbe the way everyone would do it, but I have a broken back so i can't move the way i once could, therefore instead of just flexing my body around things I sometimes have to move the things, or should I say have the things moved.

If it costs the normal 40 or 50 bucks to replace the markers with smoked lenses I would say paint them, but at only 20 bucks delivered, I can't see waiting for the paint to dry, he also ships super fast, I paid on a Saterday and they were here Monday. I can get a link if intrested, let me know