PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

The state trooper got me

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Default The state trooper got me

I run the 35's with 20inch rockstars on my h3. I got a citation and he told me to get fender flares or smaller tires..which is not happening. Anyone else ever get pulled over for this ? I'm thinking about making some ghetto flares show the trooper at the hearing and then just take them off

Old 04-28-2011, 07:11 AM

what state are you in?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 AM

I got had last week in Cleveland for no front plate. Turned left through an intersection in front of a cop sitting at the light on my left. Pulled a U-Turn so quick I didn't even notice, and flew up behind me into the shopping center and pulled me over.

Didn't want to hear anything I had to say, was somewhat rude, and also gave my passenger a ticket for no seat belt. He took it off when the cop pulled us over to get his wallet out.....

I dunno man, I understand the front plate thing is a law, I just don't agree with it. The new Ohio "Sunburst" plates look retarded, and who wants to junk up their nice vehicle with a front plate anyways?

My parents have had expensive luxury vehicles for as long as I can remember and they've NEVER had a front plate, and never gotten a ticket. Who wants to drill holes in the bumper of a $80,000 Benz?

I swear I've gotten more tickets in Cleveland than everywhere else combined. Just my luck too since most of the surrounding cities I could use family businesses to talk my way out of it. I get it, its a law, but you're a Cleveland cop, go do something productive like shaking down the dope boys standing on the corner, which he happened to drive right by on his way to pull me over.

Too bad the dealers are smarter than the cops, and that extremely sad considering the "caliber" of Cleveland patrol officers. Most of the dealers actually hide their inventory somewhere nearby and retrieve it only for a sale, so its hard to just roll up and shake them down......

So now I guess its easier to give me a $196 ticket for no front plate, thanks CPD!

Oh and it's obvious I was targeted because he thought I was either a drug dealer myself since I was in a bad neighborhood, looked to be some easy quick cash, or both.

I really appreciated the "Come on man, don't tell me you can't afford to pay a ticket and get a plate on the front of your $60,000 truck."

Real nice. Welcome to the police state, harass for cash. It's not about safety anymore.

/rant

Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Pennsylvania

Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 PM

I guess that in your state, there is a law concerning oversized tires and the potential for debris to be thrown up and into a vehicle in back of you.. Most states have these laws on the books. What needs to be done, is to get a copy of your states motor vehicle laws. That way you know what you can be ticketed for, no matter how stupid it seams.

And as for the other poster complaining about the front plate ticket, Put on one. Or simply pay the tickets.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:02 PM

how far out does your tires stick past the factory flares now? Here in Texas alot of guys with trucks like to put the huge parking lot pimper lift kits on there trucks which I think it retarded and its actually illegal to have a certain percentage of the tire showing with out mud flaps so depending on the cop and your attitude towards them you could get a ticket for it.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Yup - been pulled over for it here in UT, seems pretty common during construction season, err, summer. Not only did I get a fix-it ticket, but a month or so later while wheeling I tore one of my new mud flaps off... Took them all of a few days to pull me over again. He let me off with a warning to go home and fix it immediately when he realized I still had one mud flap on and the other was in the back seat. This was in my Cherokee.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by mbone20
I run the 35's with 20inch rockstars on my h3. I got a citation and he told me to get fender flares or smaller tires..which is not happening. Anyone else ever get pulled over for this ? I'm thinking about making some ghetto flares show the trooper at the hearing and then just take them off
Well, I am on the other side of this issue
I was following a truck/SUV that had tires that stuck out past the side of his vehicle
and he kicked up a huge rock that not only dinged the windshield, it cracked the windshield.
I actually thought some had taken a shot at me.
I pulled over to gain composure and asess the damage.
Yes, most states have laws against extra wide tires sticking out past the fenders
They usually don't stop you for just that reason, but apparently your cop did.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:50 PM

I am also from PA and an attorney. I used to have a Wrangler on 35s. I would get stopped all the time because the tires stuck out past the fender flares by about 3 to 4 inches. I eventually just got the extended flares. It all depends on the officer and the Judge. If this happened in an area you live...get the flares. If this was just some random location, try to ask for mercy. You could also put your stock wheels and tires on for the hearing.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 PM

He said If I get the fender flares on by the hearing my citation will be cleared but I think every fender flares I have seen for the H3 are horrendous. and simple-quick-fix Ideas I could throw on there for the hearing so I can just take them off after and hopefully I don't stopped again?