PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Default starting issues

I own a 08 H3 and love it but recently I've had some starting issues. Everything comes on as normal but nothing when you turn the key. It's manual so I associated it with the clutch switch and pretty much confirmed it when it didn't start one day and I got under the dash, wiggled the plug and it started. I replaced the switch thinking it was over and it did it again. One guy tried to tell me it was the bendix in the starter but I haven't heard any noises in the starter at all. Then the last time it did it I had just put in twelve hours at work. Tried a few things, then, out of desperation, wiggled that switch again and it started. Could it be as simple as making sure that plug is making good contact with that switch? It hasn't and doesn't throw a code, just doesn't start. Help! The local dealer can't help me unless it's doing it when they have it. Has anyone encountered this before?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 PM

Each time this happens, how long is it before it actually starts up again? If it is about 10 minutes then it is the worthless antitheft system that is starting to go bad. If you immediately wiggle those wires after it doesn't start does it then start right up?

Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Default start or crank?

you are not defining the problem. it sounds like it "starts" and runs any time it "cranks" huh?
so it doesn't crank?

cranking is controlled by the pcm after it gets 12 v from the ignition sw and the run/crank relay 78.
relay 77 is the actual relay that activates the starter. you could swap those out.
when in the run position does other stuff work, like radio that run off the run/crank relay? that would tell if the ignition sw is working.

you need to look at and understand the wiring info in the book. it is clearly shown.

and,YES, it could be bad connections right where you wiggle the wires!!

oh, is that sw adjusted right so it makes contact?!!, could be that simple.

im digging!

Last edited by happythree; 09-13-2013 at 10:53 PM.