PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

starr hid headlight issue!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Default starr hid headlight issue!

hey guys

im new to the forum. I bought an 07 H2 last year and installed starr hid's.
Ive noticed a few people have them on here...just recently ive had issues where it seems my left headlight stays on high beam even after i switch back to low...it doesnt do it all the time, and sometimes it flickers back n forth on its own....only seems to be the left lamp...ne thoughts? electrical? the headlight itself?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:10 PM

This is interesting. One question I have is has this occurred since it was installed? If so, and this is a stretch, but I've seen it, you may have the wrong bulb in the left side. There are 2 bulbs that fit the same socket, and have the same plug, but have different wiring for the bulb. I've seen people order a hid conversion kit for their 9007 bulb vehicles, and the sellers will ship out either 1 or both as 9004 bulbs, ESPECIALLY if you did an ebay purchase. Then tend to have giant stacks of bulbs and just grab and ship.

The 9007 is what comes with the H2, and the 9004 fits, but has different wiring. The reason I say this could be an issue is that if you have a 9004 bulb installed in your H2 9007 socket, it will only operate on high beam. But of course this is only if the issue has been there since day one, and can't just change through time.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM

just started last week and its been in there over a year and 20k miles....
it alsodoesnt seem to happen all the time...i flashed them hi to low 30 times this morning and it didnt do it once...last night it did it steady.....

Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 PM

That's a bummer then. Is it a dual element version (both high and low beam are HID)? Most are HID low beam and incandescent high beam since HID really isn't meant for quick flashes. From the sounds of it your transformer is sticking. Try swapping the left and right transformer and see if the right side sticks, if so, then you clearly have a sticking transformer and it's time for a warranty swap or new transformers. But definitely make sure you get the right one (i.e. dual or single element HID).

Old 03-13-2012, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Threesixtymodena
hey guys

im new to the forum. I bought an 07 H2 last year and installed starr hid's.
Ive noticed a few people have them on here...just recently ive had issues where it seems my left headlight stays on high beam even after i switch back to low...it doesnt do it all the time, and sometimes it flickers back n forth on its own....only seems to be the left lamp...ne thoughts? electrical? the headlight itself?
I have an h3 with the same Starr hid headlights installed. They do the same thing, but not very often. I've maybe noticed it a dozen or so times over the last few years. Seems completely random. I'm guessing the shield inside the vixen on housing gets hung up in there. Probably just a design flaw. The shield moved up and down inside the headlight housing, this is what controls the light output. There are not two bulbs or anything. Not sure anything can be done to fix them, I've never taken one apart, although mine don't do it often enough to make me want to take one apart.