PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

On-Star Vehicle Tracking for theft

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default On-Star Vehicle Tracking for theft

Has anybody ever had to use this? I'm trying to eliminate as many bills as I can, and since I have came to the conclusion that I am going to have to take the train to work and back every day after I move, I don't think keeping my cell service in the H3 makes sense. I only kept On-Star for that. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should keep On-Star. I have never used it, and now my 1 free year is up and I have to pay for it.

My question is has anybody ever had a car that was recovered/tracked by On-Star after it was stolen? This is the ONLY reason I would keep the service since It's going to be parked in the same lot every day and with all tha chrome it's just going to be an attraction for crooks. On the other hand, I don't think many car thefts are Manual transmissions, so maybe I'd be ok. I do use that AutoLock thing that goes on the brake pedal so they couldn't possibly drive away with it.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Default RE: On-Star Vehicle Tracking for theft

There is a statistic somewhere that says something to the effect that if it takes longer then about 2 minutes to steal a car, the thief will move on. Things like the Club, or the thing you have, assuming it goes between the steering wheel and the brake, will make it harder to steal because it can take longer then 2 minutes to get in and cut the sterring wheel to remove the devise, plus hotwire the vehicle. Throw in the fact that the vehicle comes standard with the anti theft ignition shutdown system, and the vehicle beomes less desireable to a thief.
I think for the money LowJack would probably be cheaper than keeping the BlondeStar for theft recovery if you must have a theft recovery system. In my opinion, it's better to prevent the theft from happening, then try to recover after it does.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

You have a very good point.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:01 PM

linus is correct in a way..but...the way most cars are stolen today is that a flatbed pulls up behind it lights going so it don't look suspicious and simply pulls the car up. Two years ago my grand cherokee was stolen and found two weeks later in a warehouse, this was the way it was stolen, state troopers that were there when I picked my truck up said that its the newest and most used method because of all the anti theft ignitions today. I hate paying for the onstar tracking also...but I know if I drop it I will regret it if/when my h3 gets jacked.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if they offer a cheaper rate if you tell them you want to cancel.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:14 PM

I would think that most any car thief with half a brain will know how to disable Onstar....

Old 11-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: lotus4s

I would think that most any car thief with half a brain will know how to disable Onstar....
Well I don't think alot of car theives out there have half a brain to begin with, unless it's your profession, in which case you are screwed no matter what you do to protect your car.