PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Squealing noise at low idle in drive or park

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Exclamation Squealing noise at low idle in drive or park

Hey guys!

I have the Alpha 5.3L V8. I been getting alot of squealing from underneath the car at low idle in park and in drive. Anybody else got this problem. I had it into the dealer 3 times and they can't find out what's causing it. I thought it might be the alternator but it sounds like it's coming from below like in the center of the vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

If it is a belt squeal then it is the alternator. Educate your "dealer", there was a TSB on this topic. Go search it out.

Basically the resolution is to replace the alternator. The noise is cause by a poor alignment of the alternator pulley to the S belt.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
If it is a belt squeal then it is the alternator. Educate your "dealer", there was a TSB on this topic. Go search it out.

Basically the resolution is to replace the alternator. The noise is cause by a poor alignment of the alternator pulley to the S belt.
Ok thanks for the info! I did notice some black power coming out from the inside of the alternator. Wife said when she's driving it at night the lights are dimming as well. I think I'll replace the alternator and the serpentine belt and see if that takes care of it. Vehicle only has 38k miles on it.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by KC_Metal
Ok thanks for the info! I did notice some black power coming out from the inside of the alternator. Wife said when she's driving it at night the lights are dimming as well. I think I'll replace the alternator and the serpentine belt and see if that takes care of it. Vehicle only has 38k miles on it.
You may still under the 4 yr. 50K bumper to bumper warranty depending on your in service date.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 05-08-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
You may still under the 4 yr. 50K bumper to bumper warranty depending on your in service date.
My warranty expired last week. When I take it in there it's not making any noises but when it get's hot it squeals like a little pig. When you give it gas noise goes away. Anyway the guy at the dealership said he will try to get it covered because it was an existing problem from before so we'll see. I called the guy at Autozone and he said they can test it tonight so I'll know if it's shot. My question is that if the system is low on voltage supply can it make other systems malfunction and squeal? Because is sounds like the sound is coming from by the transfer case/transmission area or something.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 AM

Belt tensioner or alternator would be my best guess. I have had to have both replaced (not on the same HUMMERs).

Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Belt tensioner or alternator would be my best guess. I have had to have both replaced (not on the same HUMMERs).
Ok I think I'll do the Alternator, tensioner and serpentine belt and hope that get's rid of it. My wife is complaining about getting tired of the squeal but she loves the heck out of her Humm and will never get rid of it!

I gotta get some updated pics on here because for her birthday I got her roof racks, a chrome hood grille & the aluminum gas cap. These were all authentic Hummer accessories.