PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Squeaking rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Default Squeaking rear suspension

I'm new to the forum and am living in Cairo, Egypt where I get a lot of dessert play in. I have a 2006 H3 with Adventure package and have replaced the factory shocks with Rancho RS 9000s all around. A friend talked me into raising the front end by adjusting the torsion bars. This over extended the Ranchos (shorter body than factory shock) whichblew outon their first outing at new height. I have since replaced the front shocks with Rancho 9000XLs. Rancho was good on their warranty and replaced with new beefier XL shock. I torqued the front end backdown. Recently I have developed a a loud and very noticable squeaking out of the rear suspension which sounds like it is coming from both sides in the area of the leaf springs. From starting movement to stopping the squeaking is there like an old wagon. Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

Old 08-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Squeaking rear suspension

Welcome. You asked so I'll give you my uninformed idea. Dirt, sand anddust. Do you have a spray wash or pressure washer that you could give the undercarriage a a good washing. If grit gets in between the rear leaf springs, it can wear down the paint, start some corrosion, and then make lots of squeeking? Try it and see.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

but if it gets louder the faster you go I would check for a rock in thearea of the brakes.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:44 AM

Thanks. Well we do have a lot of sand here. But usually have her cleaned underneath after kicking it up. Will spend some time tomorrow undeneath with a hi pressure hose. Noise is very irksome. Even when i sit down you can here it squeaking. Stand on the rear bumper and jostle it up and down and squeaking is loud on both sides.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 AM

Thanks Doc,

Spent an hour under there with six cans of degreaser and a power washer. No squeak now and I could eat off the chasis. Guess Iwould never have that problem if it ever rained here (8 months since the last one). No rivers to ford either except thethe Nile and it is too deep. They run an H3 commercial here showing it going under water. I often see kids looking underneath for the propellers.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Sweet, gald I could help. Keep the rubber side down bro!

Old 09-22-2007, 01:09 PM

That annoying squeak came back after my last Sinai desert foray but the problem has been found. One of the leaf spring wear padslost itstab that holds it in place and the pad had moved an inch to the rear causing the two leafs to rub together. The other side's pad looks rather flat.Ordered two new Skyjacker Teflon pads from 4 Wheel Parts. Problem now will be how to install the pads without taking the leaf apart. Hope i don't have to resort to this as the fuel tank is in the way of the leafs bolt on the driver's side. They shoulda put the nut to the inside so as not to have to drop the shield and tank to remove one bolt. Any one got any ideas?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:27 PM

ah,some food for thought