PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Speaker wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
its late and im too sleepy to spend time,now, but my main concern on auto wiring is twisted wires and tape.
i trust only soldered wires.u can shake and tug all day and they stay connected. i like good shrink tubing properly installed.crimp on connectors is a red flag for future intermittents, a short cut. and if u ever strip wire for testing,do the strips a few inches apart so they cant touch even when the tape "crawls"off!.
if u cut insulation without removing any it will/can move back and cover the "wound"by itself. later

oops, the wiring can be found in the service manual,,i down loadeed for $12 and forget the site now. u can find in net with search..nite
I don't think we're on the same page here, poke and wrap is different than just twisting!

Mobile Electronics Installer- GPS, Sat Radio, Alarm, Audio, etc

I use it every day on cars and trucks and I've never seen one done right come undone or cause issues.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

u can use short cuts on customer cars u may never see again,huh.

abetter short cut,cost u a dime strip old wire,fold insert into lug with new wire,crimp and cut off lug or use,"barrel" splice.
i would NEVER trust bare wire without solder or hard crimp,,intermittent waiting to happen.lucky you ,they wont remember who dunnit. granted it is a cheaper method

Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM

I poke and wrap my own vehicles regularly when I work on them. Some things just won't fit in a crimp cap, like 14ga speaker wire, or you need to wire it inline, that's when I use that method.

If it's tiny wires I always use crimp caps!